ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Social Groups and Cultural ties

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Hussain1987
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Social Groups and Cultural ties

Post by Hussain1987 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 am

Hi all,

I am applying for an indefinite leave to remain based on the new online SET-M form, 5 year route. A question came up which is a bit confusing:

"Are you part of any social groups or do you have other cultural ties in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years?"

As there are currently no new guidance notes available online I was hoping some one could help understand by what the home office means about the question.

Thanks
Hussain

fasssika
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Re: Social Groups and Cultural ties

Post by fasssika » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 am

Hussain1987 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 am
Hi all,

I am applying for an indefinite leave to remain based on the new online SET-M form, 5 year route. A question came up which is a bit confusing:

"Are you part of any social groups or do you have other cultural ties in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years?"

As there are currently no new guidance notes available online I was hoping some one could help understand by what the home office means about the question.

Thanks
Hussain
I also found this question confusing especially in the age of social media. I basically put yes, and stated that I had twitter, instagram and facebook. I am sure they realise what this would mean in our digital age........ :roll:

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:19 pm

This is not about social groups on social media :lol: If you go back home often, visit friends and family or belong to a cultural/social group back in your home country, then you have cultural ties there.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

fasssika
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by fasssika » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:19 pm
This is not about social groups on social media :lol: If you go back home often, visit friends and family or belong to a cultural/social group back in your home country, then you have cultural ties there.
Hey Zimba,

They actually state, (eg. social media etc........) which is why I answered it in that manner. They have a separate question where they ask if you have close family or friends in countries you have lived in for five years or more and how often you see/communicate. I would think after one states how often one sees and speaks to them there, one doesnt need to say it again?

nice111

Post by nice111 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi fassika, Where does it state about social media etc?

I answered it NO as I believe they are asking about any social and culture ties so for that you have to visit frequently.

Very confusing and I dont understand the need of it.

fasssika
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by fasssika » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

nice111 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm
Hi fassika, Where does it state about social media etc?

I answered it NO as I believe they are asking about any social and culture ties so for that you have to visit frequently.

Very confusing and I dont understand the need of it.
Are you part of any social groups or do you have other cultural ties in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years? (Required)

And below that you have............
This could include social networks or connections to any of these countries
I basically have used this answer for all my applications and have yet to be asked for clarification.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Did they actually mentioned (e.g: social media) !!! ?

nice111

Post by nice111 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi fassika. The text you have quoted is referring to "Social networks" and not "Social Media".

I believe it is not about social media etc.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm

I thought so !

fasssika
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ghana

Post by fasssika » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:38 pm

nice111 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm
Hi fassika. The text you have quoted is referring to "Social networks" and not "Social Media".

I believe it is not about social media etc.
And that's fine. Please interpret it as you wish. I am in no way stating that this is how you should apply. I just gave my opinion on what I did when I applied. I apologise if its wrong.

Lynz1988
Canada

Post by Lynz1988 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Definitely not about social media haha!! I listed that I still had all of my family back home, a few dwindling friends that gets smaller every year I am in the UK, a savings bank account, and a driver's licence in case UK employment didn't work out (I'm sure my caseworker got a kick out of my answers. And yes, I did write those answers on my application!!). I also declared that I have an RRSP for retirement back home that I put money into long before I considered moving to the UK

Btw that was for Set O but they still ask the question

Hussain1987
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Hussain1987 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks, that helps, seems to be a more generic question, ill put something like being a part of my scchools alumni, would help if guidance notes were available and had better definitions

Tropcroc
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Tropcroc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Lynz1988 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:32 pm
Definitely not about social media haha!! I listed that I still had all of my family back home, a few dwindling friends that gets smaller every year I am in the UK, a savings bank account, and a driver's licence in case UK employment didn't work out (I'm sure my caseworker got a kick out of my answers. And yes, I did write those answers on my application!!). I also declared that I have an RRSP for retirement back home that I put money into long before I considered moving to the UK

Btw that was for Set O but they still ask the question
Hi there, my wife and I are currently going through the application online. Because it's online you cant just write no to no social ties or cultural ties etc, it asks then to explain why not and gives a list if negative reasons. How did you answer this?