ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR docs required / Immig Agents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

trl1
Newly Registered

FBR docs required / Immig Agents

Post by trl1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:52 pm

How do I obtain the required birth/death certificates (originals/copies) for my Irish born grandfather and British born father?
Or can anyone recommend a good Immigration Agent who can help do this?
All the agents I have spoke to so far have been useless - either they don't reply, or misread the info I have supplied them, or they want payment up front without even advising if I have a viable case for application.
Thanks in advance

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: FBR docs required / Immig Agents

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Records from the Republic of Ireland can be ordered online from the Health and Safety Executive

bostonceltics
Newly Registered

Post by bostonceltics » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Depending on which part of the UK your father was born will determine where you need to go to for the certificates.

If your father was born in England or Wales :

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... nformation

Scotland :

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registrat ... -registers

Northern Ireland :

I presume your father was not born in Northern Ireland as you wouldn't have to apply for FBR via your grandfather.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/or ... rtificates

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Regarding agents, I am not familiar with any. But keep in mind the Tems and Conditions of this message board:

You may discuss your personal experiences with various services, but you may NOT name them.

So it’s not likely anyone will post the names of Agents here. If they do, the post will likely be removed with a warning, and the poster could be banned.

mattskilondon
Newly Registered

Post by mattskilondon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:39 pm

It should be very straightforward to obtain all the certificates from the links above, provided you know the relevant details, date of birth, names etc. I had to get certificates from the England and NI registers for my FBR application from the UK, all ordered easily online and they came through in about a week. Good luck.

trl1
Newly Registered

Post by trl1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 pm

PasadenaTom
MattskiLondon
BostonCeltics
Many thanks guys for your replies and the links, I will follow up and report back.
Yes my father was born in England.
My Grandfather was born in southern Ireland.
And point noted about agent name referrals, apologies!
kind regards.

trl1
Newly Registered

Post by trl1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 pm

I have started my application. It appears you can find out more from Google than from old hand written letters, original press cuttings and personal documents from my grandfather!
Does anyone know if you have to give up your UK passport at any stage in the process or can you have dual citizenship? I read somewhere that you can't have a UK and an Irish passport, but perhaps you don't need both - just residential status to live and work etc.
many thanks in advance

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:09 am

trl1 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 pm
Does anyone know if you have to give up your UK passport at any stage in the process or can you have dual citizenship?
Dual citizenship is allowed by the United Kingdom.

Ireland also allows dual citizenship, and there is reference on this page to Irish/UK dual citizens.

So you can have both passports. You will have the best of both worlds. That said, you may want to be careful about which passport you use when entering Ireland or the UK from abroad. I am a dual USA/Irish citizen. The US requires me to use my US passport when entering the US. I suspect that other countries have similar requirements. So it is probably best to use a UK passport when entering the UK and Irish when entering Ireland.

trl1
Newly Registered

Post by trl1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 am

Thankyou Tom. Much appreciated.

trl1
Newly Registered

Post by trl1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi guys, quick update
I just found out it looks like my Grandfather died in Scotland (not England as I thought)
So would I apply for his death cert from the Scottish link that bostonceltics kindly provided before ??

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registrat ... -registers

many thanks in advance
Tim

trl1
Newly Registered

Post by trl1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 pm

trl1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:03 pm
I just found out it looks like my Grandfather died in Scotland (not England as I thought)
UPDATE: Sorry I have now found the Scottish site and applied for cert.
Now all I need to do is find out where my father was born (in England) which I should know but dont!
Hopefully MyHeritage or Ancestry will be able to tell me.
Also for your info - I just found another (free) very useful site for this type of info and research, its called WikiTree - very useful and more like a community than a subscription site.