ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport with criminal record

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Camy2018
Newly Registered
Egypt

British passport with criminal record

Post by Camy2018 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi
I want to ask if someone was convicted 10 years ago of sexual assault and got sentenced to 16 weeks and was required to sign sex offender for 7 years ,so now as he is cleared ,can he or she apply for citizenship or his application will be refused ,thanks

CMOSUK
Mood:

Re: British passport with criminal record

Post by CMOSUK » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Camy2018 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 pm
Hi
I want to ask if someone was convicted 10 years ago of sexual assault and got sentenced to 16 weeks and was required to sign sex offender for 7 years ,so now as he is cleared ,can he or she apply for citizenship or his application will be refused ,thanks
According to the good character FAQ: prison sentences up to 12 months would be a refusal for 10 yerrs starting at the end of your sentence.

As you had reporting notifications for 7 years, I'm not sure how this would play into it, it could be 10 years may start when your whole period of rehabilitation was finished including reporting notifications.

Would need more clarity on this part.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Note:
"You must say if your details have been recorded by the police as a result of certain sexual
offences, or if you are subject to one of the following orders: notification order, sexual
offences prevention order, foreign travel order, risk of sexual harm order (or equivalent
order made in a British overseas territory or any other country). If your details are recorded
on the “sex offenders” register, even if any conviction is spent, the Home Secretary is
unlikely to be satisfied that you meet the good character requirement and so an application
for citizenship is unlikely to be successful
."
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Camy2018
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by Camy2018 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:31 pm

The sentence was spent and the person is not required for notification for sex register (ie he doesn’t need to notify the police ),so even the time passed we can’t apply for citizenship ??

Alter29
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Alter29 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Does it not say if whether a conviction is spent it still needs to be declared. Not an expert or anything though just my thoughts.

Camy2018
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by Camy2018 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for your reply ,of course we will declare the conviction but my question was can we get British passport after finishing the 10 years time ? Now the person is not required to notify the police about the sex offender register