ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application Refused (no explanation)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

seanparker60
Newly Registered
South Africa

British Passport Application Refused (no explanation)

Post by seanparker60 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi

Can anyone help me.

My Grandfather was born in the UK, my father born in Zim/Rhodesia in 1939, I was born in Zim in 1979.

A passport application agent assured me that because my father was born in a British colony I would qualify for a British Passport. My father has always held a British Passport ( I know he also qualifies by decent from his father-which only entitles me to an ancestral visa--but the born in UK territory was supposed to help me directly get a passport).

I applied - it got rejected. No explanation given as to why.
I wanted to appeal. I was simply told to write a letter of appeal to a physical address at UK home affairs.

xxxxxx want a lot of money to do some trace.

Nobody appears to willing to give any details on how I can either appeal or know for what exact reason I was denied.

Any help from someone?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport Application Refused (no explanation)

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Are you sure you weren't required to register as British first, by double descent on UKF form?

As far as I understand, if your father is British by descent, it cannot be passed on to his children and you would therefore not be British and entitled to a passport. Perhaps 'vinny' or 'secret.simon' could offer more advice.

Also, what type of passport does your father hold, British overseas Passport, full British passport, CUKC passport etc??

p.s. please refrain from naming 'agencies' on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seanparker60
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by seanparker60 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 am

I went through an agent and they never mentioned anything about registering first.

My father holds a full British Passport. He lives in the UK.

According to many people online (especially company xxxxx) there appears to be a potential non standard route to getting a passport based on the colonial status of the country at the time.

All I am looking for is clarity on Rhodesian status in 1939 and laws around this and how that does or doesn't qualify me.

ie if it doesn't then what law says that it doesn't.

seanparker60
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by seanparker60 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 am

PS it stands and falls on the definition of "by birth" vs "by descent" (section 4 and 5) and application of that to those people in transition in section 12.

To me it looks like my father is by birth.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/194 ... 056_en.pdf

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:10 pm

seanparker60 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 am
I went through an agent and they never mentioned anything about registering first.

According to many people online (especially company xxxxx) there appears to be a potential non standard route to getting a passport based on the colonial status of the country at the time.

All I am looking for is clarity on Rhodesian status in 1939 and laws around this and how that does or doesn't qualify me.

you can only apply for British passport if your Father was born in the UK and was married to your Mom at the time of your birth , him having British Citizenship isn't often enough , one has to establish how he gained his citizenship in the first place , if he received it from his parents then you wont qualify automatically , you can apply for ancestral visa based on your grandparent born in the UK

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 am

KasMac wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:10 pm
seanparker60 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 am

you can only apply for British passport if your Father was born in the UK and was married to your Mom at the time of your birth , him having British Citizenship isn't often enough , one has to establish how he gained his citizenship in the first place , if he received it from his parents then you wont qualify automatically , you can apply for ancestral visa based on your grandparent born in the UK
Correct, that is my understanding too.

For the record, my GF was born in England, my Father in Rhodesia in 1933 and myself in SA in 1962. My Father had a BP from his Father and didn't retain it after naturalising as an SA citizen, and the advice from two different sources was that the only path we had available to us was through Ancestry Visa.

Unless someone more knowledgeable on the matter can advise differently.