ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and English Test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pinky5688
Cambodia

Naturalisation and English Test

Post by Pinky5688 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 am

Hello Moderators,

I got my ILR in October 2018. Can someone please advise what is the next step required to apply for naturalisation. I understand English test and life in the uk test is a requirement for naturalisation. Can someone advise which English test I have to take and at where I can find test centres? I have already passed life in the UK test a few years back. Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation and English Test

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 am

Have you reviewed the guide and requirements? The documentation expains the requirements - you must meet them all:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an
B1 English ois required.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Pinky5688
Cambodia

Post by Pinky5688 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Thank you.

How long before I can apply for Naturalisation? I got my ILR in October 2018.

Is B1 English test difficult and how long is it and whether it is multiple choice or not?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 pm

How long before I can apply for Naturalisation? I got my ILR in October 2018.
If you are not married to a British citizen, you must wait the full 12 months on ILR before you can apply for citizenship.
Is B1 English test difficult and how long is it and whether it is multiple choice or not?
It is a 10 to 20 minute speaking and listening test as far as I am aware. LIUK is harder than the English test in my opinion.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pinky5688
Cambodia

Post by Pinky5688 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Do we need study for English B1 Test or is it just a basic speaking and listening test?

Can someone provide a link to test centres and how to book for the English B1 test? How much is the cost of this test and can it booked 5 to 6 months in advance?

Is one is married to a British Citizen, when can he/she apply for British Citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Do we need study for English B1 Test or is it just a basic speaking and listening test?
No and Yes.
Can someone provide a link to test centres and how to book for the English B1 test? How much is the cost of this test and can it booked 5 to 6 months in advance?
Posted 100s of times on the forum and a sticky topic at the top of the page and on HOs website and in the AN guidance notes!!

british-citizenship/faqs-english-langua ... 98118.html
Is one is married to a British Citizen, when can he/she apply for British Citizenship?
As soon as you have ILR and provided you meet ALL the requirements to apply as spouse of BC based on 3 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 pm
No and Yes.
Posted 100s of times on the forum and a sticky topic at the top of the page and on HOs website and in the AN guidance notes!!

british-citizenship/faqs-english-langua ... 98118.html
As soon as you have ILR and provided you meet ALL the requirements to apply as spouse of BC based on 3 years residence.
As far as back as March this year, when my wife did it, it was a 10 minute test, the first 5 minutes are of a main topic ( and 5 subtopics) of YOUR choosing, it could be about anything as the questions will be asked randomly based on your topic/subtopics.

The other 5 minutes is a conversation about ANYTHING, again this may have changed since then but it was easy enough for her.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Go to Trinity College London and look for the B1 level exam for naturalisation. Their website tells you all about the test and includes a few video recordings of others taking the examination. It is at a very basic level.

https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220

Pinky5688
Cambodia

Post by Pinky5688 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone can help me on this. My dad has ILE and is married to a British CItizen for over 35 years. My dads ILE visas expire in July 2019. My question is will he have to wait for naturalisation until July 2019 or can he apply now?

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am

Pinky5688 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:18 pm
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone can help me on this. My dad has ILE and is married to a British CItizen for over 35 years. My dads ILE visas expire in July 2019. My question is will he have to wait for naturalisation until July 2019 or can he apply now?
To my understanding and knowledge ILE is the same as ILR, the entitlement does not expire, however the document or BRP card will expire with the passport for those on ILE, from my reading they need to apply for a TOC (transfer of conditions) once they recieve their new passport to transfer that entitlement.

Read here

They should be able to apply for naturalisation straight away as they have been married to a British citizen for more than 3 years and have been resident for more than 3 years.

They also have to have been present in the UK 3 years back preceding thr date of application, so for example if they applied today, on 18-12-18 they must have been present in the UK in 18-12-15.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

Pinky5688
Cambodia

Post by Pinky5688 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Thank you Cmosuk.

Yes you are right that my dads ILE expires in line with his passport. Based on the information on your reply, he has been here for more than 3 years and therefore should be able apply for naturalisation straight away.

Pinky5688
Cambodia

Post by Pinky5688 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Hello.
I can see on trinitycollege website that there are 2 types of B1 tests namely B1 Selt -GESE Grade 5 and B1 Selt - ISE 1. Out of theses 2 tests, which one needs to done for naturalisation ? I have just got ILR in October 2018.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 pm

B1 GESE
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.