ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ex refugee traveling to home country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Stnurse
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Ex refugee traveling to home country

Post by Stnurse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Hello everyone. I recently got naturalised and my history is I was a refugee.
I want to now travel back to home country for a holiday but I am worried I will have trouble coming back into the country.
Will I even be allowed to fly back to the Uk?
will I have to explain why I have availed myself?
The only ties I have to the Uk is a child who is a British citizen but I plan to go with said child on the holiday.
Has anyone had an experience of my predicament?
Thanks for any help.

Casa

Re: Ex refugee traveling to home country

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:25 pm

If you return to the country from which you claimed asylum, you are at risk of having your British citizenship revoked if it's considered that you were granted asylum incorrectly.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

jgreen6123
BANNED
Christmas Island

Post by jgreen6123 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Your citizenship will be automatically revoked. I cannot quote it but I have read through so many policies and procedures recently that I remember reading it.
If you fled a country where your life was in danger and claimed asylum in the UK, why on earth would you go back? The simple answer is because your life was never in danger - would the HO rightly say.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Page 12 onwards in the linked document below.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _0_EXT.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Stnurse
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by Stnurse » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks everyone for the comments and the link.

lad 14
Wales

Post by lad 14 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Just for my own knowledge, does the same rule applies for an Asylum Seeker as well while travelling to their default country ?

Stnurse
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by Stnurse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:23 pm

lad 14 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:41 pm
Just for my own knowledge, does the same rule applies for an Asylum Seeker as well while travelling to their default country ?
Sorry I’m confused, what do you mean?
My understanding is when a person seeks Asylum (asylum seeking) and their claim is accepted they are given refugee status.

citizenearth
Newly Registered

Post by citizenearth » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:17 am

As per the document in the link above (section 3.3). Once naturalised, you automatically lose the refugee status because you have the protection of your own country now (the UK). So going back to your home country from which you were seeking asylum doesn't automatically mean your new citizenship will be revoked. But it might trigger a review of your case and during the review if they found that the basis on which you claimed asylum was not right then they might revoke the citizenship.

As I understand it, if you claim an asylum from a country in 2010 it means your life was in danger back then and up until you get your ILR but if the situation in your home country changed since then then there is no reason why you can't go back. Simply in this case your initial case was valid and this is the most important thing