ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Draft Remedial Order for the Good Character requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

voyager1
Mood:
Bahrain

Draft Remedial Order for the Good Character requirement

Post by voyager1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:13 am

Does anyone know the latest news on when the draft remedial order to amend the good character requirement for British citizenship will be approved? The last I read was that it would be approved and passed at the start of 2019. But does anyone know exactly when this Remedial Order changes will come into affect? Is it January? February? March? or could it be as late as April or May before it is passed?

Any updated news on the progress of this Remedial Order would be greatly appreciated.

Hioru

Re: Draft Remedial Order for the Good Character requirement

Post by Hioru » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am

Interestingly, it mentions "Applications for registration as a British citizen under sections 4C, 4F, 4G, 4H and 4I where the only ground for refusal is where the applicant does not meet the good character requirement, will remain on hold until further notice.".

Therefore, I would guess, if you would to apply now under sections 4C, 4F, 4G, 4H and 4I and you're all okay apart from the Good Character part, then they would just put your application in hold, otherwise if nothing is wrong with Good Character they would approve it.

Just my speculation.

voyager1
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by voyager1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 pm

The snag is for a lot of people, is that the application form requires you to have 2 referees, who have each known you for 2 years. You could have a completely good character, but it is not always easy for people to provide 2 professionals who have known you for the last 2 years and who are willing to be your referees. So as far as I understand it, as it stands, you can't complete the form without providing the details of 2 referees. It is obligatory to fill this section out, in the current format of the application form. I suspect the application could be refused, if this particular section for the referees is left blank/empty.

When the remedial order for the changes to the good character requirements are completed, only then will the application forms probably change.

That is why I want to get an idea as to when this particular remedial order is likely to be approved.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 pm

voyager1 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 pm
The snag is for a lot of people, is that the application form requires you to have 2 referees, who have each known you for 2 years. You could have a completely good character, but it is not always easy for people to provide 2 professionals who have known you for the last 2 years and who are willing to be your referees. So as far as I understand it, as it stands, you can't complete the form without providing the details of 2 referees. It is obligatory to fill this section out, in the current format of the application form. I suspect the application could be refused, if this particular section for the referees is left blank/empty.

When the remedial order for the changes to the good character requirements are completed, only then will the application forms probably change.

That is why I want to get an idea as to when this particular remedial order is likely to be approved.
The requirement for referees is separate to the Good Character requirement. Referees have to know you for 3 years, not 2, when completing form AN and only ONE has to be a professional of any nationality.

Referee declarations were required long before the Good Character requirement came into effect a few years ago.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

voyager1
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by voyager1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm

So will I require referees? My application is based on the Romein route through my mother. My mother is British but she wasn't born in the UK(neither was I). But both her British parents were born in the UK. Will I require referees?

voyager1
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by voyager1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 pm

I want to apply to register as a British citizen.

voyager1
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by voyager1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Also what application form will I need to use in order to apply to register as a British citizen going through the Romein route?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm

You need referees.

Likely form UKM.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.