ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa with a criminal record

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cast2022
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Student Visa with a criminal record

Post by cast2022 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello,

I am moving through an application process for a PhD in the UK. I am an American citizen. I have some traffic violations on my record, but nothing too serious. The only thing I have that is causing me pause is a single criminal violation for theft. At the time the charge was a felony theft, but it was plead down to a misdemeanor. The result of which was 6 months probation, and the guilty please was struck from the record with a probation before judgement ruling. The dates in question are as follows:

Incident Date: 01/22/2017
Court Date: 08/16/2017
Probation expiration date: 02/16/2018

Will this automatically prevent me from being able to get a student visa? Or will it just make it more difficult/ not guaranteed? If it is still possible, any suggestions or advice for how I can improve my chances?

Thanks!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Student Visa with a criminal record

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:31 pm

cast2022 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 pm
Will this automatically prevent me from being able to get a student visa?
No. The offences that mean an application for entry clearance application should always be refused are listed in paragraph 320(2) of the general grounds for refusal:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... or-refusal
cast2022 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 pm
Or will it just make it more difficult/ not guaranteed?
Also no. Paragraph 320(18A) of the general grounds for refusal explains when an entry clearance application should normally (not always) be refused:

(18A) within the 12 months prior to the date on which the application is decided, the person has been convicted of or admitted an offence for which they received a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record;
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.