ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British passport with passport expiring

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kevinx99
Newly Registered

Applying for British passport with passport expiring

Post by kevinx99 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi,
I have just applied my application for British citizenship and my current passport is due to expire in March. Reading the posts on the forum i realise that this wouldn’t have an effect on my citizenship application but I would be applying for British passport once my citizenship application is successful which would take atleast a few months looking at the timelines posted recently. As I’d need to surrender my current passport later would they accept my expired passport or will I have to renew it to be able to surrender. I won’t be travelling anytime soon.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Applying for British passport with passport expiring

Post by bruteforce » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:00 pm

You don't have to renew your passport.

kevinx99
Newly Registered

Post by kevinx99 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:18 pm

So I can actually send in the expired passport for surrender??
Also are there any additional documents I would need to send... just so I can have everything prepared beforehand?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Kindly only ask about British passport or citizenship question in this sub forum.

Any questions regarding surrending your current passport etc should be asked as a new topic in the Other countries sub forum please.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kevinx99
Newly Registered

Post by kevinx99 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 pm
Kindly only ask about British passport or citizenship question in this sub forum.

Any questions regarding surrending your current passport etc should be asked as a new topic in the Other countries sub forum please.
But this is part of the British passport application process?? I just need to know if my current passport needs to be active when applying for British.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 pm

So I can actually send in the expired passport for surrender??
Your question above is not relevant to a British passport application and indicates the process for surrendering a passport once you lose your birth nationality. That is the point I was referring to!!

You don't "surrender" your foreign passport to the UK authorities or home office!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kevinx99
Newly Registered

Post by kevinx99 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 am

Apologies! Wasn’t aware of the exact process and just found out that the current passport (Indian) needs to be surrendered at an Indian embassy upon obtaining the naturalisation certificate.
Could someone please explain the process to apply for a British passport once I’ve acquired the naturalisation certificate??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:46 am

kevinx99 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 am
Could someone please explain the process to apply for a British passport once I’ve acquired the naturalisation certificate??
Complete the form, paper or online, get referee and submit with required documents. Then wait for HMPO to process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

difficult_guy

Post by difficult_guy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am

kevinx99 wrote:
Apologies! Wasn’t aware of the exact process and just found out that the current passport (Indian) needs to be surrendered at an Indian embassy upon obtaining the naturalisation certificate.
you need to do few following things,

- Get passport application from on Post Office
- New photographs (Photographs has to taken within one month and there are strict guidelines to take photos)
- Full up form up to section 9 then you need to get your passport form section 10 and one of photographs counter signed from a "Qualified Person"

you need to go to your local post office
- you need to take your all current (foreign) passports and birth certificates (if you are born in uk)
- Your original certificate of Naturalization
- Two photographs (one counter signed and one blank from the back)
- Your complete passport form

You need to pay £9:75 check and send service fee to post office, £5.00 fee for all your documents come back with special delivery and passport fee. you can use your cash or debit/credit card to complete your payments.

It may take around 8 weeks for your first British Passport to comeback

PN: These days, they do cross check the reference and they call you for interview for your first British Passport.

Good Luck mate

kevinx99
Newly Registered

Post by kevinx99 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:48 am

difficult_guy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am
kevinx99 wrote:
you need to do few following things,

- Get passport application from on Post Office
- New photographs (Photographs has to taken within one month and there are strict guidelines to take photos)
- Full up form up to section 9 then you need to get your passport form section 10 and one of photographs counter signed from a "Qualified Person"

you need to go to your local post office
- you need to take your all current (foreign) passports and birth certificates (if you are born in uk)
- Your original certificate of Naturalization
- Two photographs (one counter signed and one blank from the back)
- Your complete passport form

You need to pay £9:75 check and send service fee to post office, £5.00 fee for all your documents come back with special delivery and passport fee. you can use your cash or debit/credit card to complete your payments.

It may take around 8 weeks for your first British Passport to comeback

PN: These days, they do cross check the reference and they call you for interview for your first British Passport.

Good Luck mate
THANKS!!
Everything I needed to know