ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hong Kong passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cashycash
Newly Registered

Hong Kong passport

Post by cashycash » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:45 am

Hi all

I became a British citizen in January by registration B(OTA) and submitted my passport application a few days after the ceremony. A few weeks later, I received a letter from the Passport Office telling me I needed to send them my 'Hong Kong passport', which I assume it's my HKSAR passport that they're referring to as I've already sent them my British National Overseas passport, my EU passport (I have dual citizenship), and my Hong Kong Permanent Identification Card as well as other supporting documents requested.

So my questions are why my HKSAR passport is required? What if I don't have an HKSAR passport? Will my application get rejected as a result? As far as I know, many people born before 1997 have never applied for an HKSAR passport after the Handover, whether or not they have dual citizenship.

Thank you all

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Re: Hong Kong passport

Post by johnhkg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:24 am

cashycash wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:45 am
Hi all

I became a British citizen in January by registration B(OTA) and submitted my passport application a few days after the ceremony. A few weeks later, I received a letter from the Passport Office telling me I needed to send them my 'Hong Kong passport', which I assume it's my HKSAR passport that they're referring to as I've already sent them my British National Overseas passport, my EU passport (I have dual citizenship), and my Hong Kong Permanent Identification Card as well as other supporting documents requested.

So my questions are why my HKSAR passport is required? What if I don't have an HKSAR passport? Will my application get rejected as a result? As far as I know, many people born before 1997 have never applied for an HKSAR passport after the Handover, whether or not they have dual citizenship.

Thank you all
Do you have an HKSAR passport? If so send it as they requested. UK Passport Office will not issue you with a British Passport in a name that is different to that in another passport. They want to be sure that is not the case.

cashycash
Newly Registered

Post by cashycash » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am

johnhkg wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:24 am
cashycash wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:45 am
Hi all

Thank you all
Do you have an HKSAR passport? If so send it as they requested. UK Passport Office will not issue you with a British Passport in a name that is different to that in another passport. They want to be sure that is not the case.
Thank you for your contribution, Johnny! Much appreciated. But what if I don't have an HKSAR passport? What made them think I had one?

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:20 pm

I haven't done the passport application yet, but did they not ask you for details of any/all passports you hold in the application? Maybe you included this in your B(OTA) registration application and HMPO have access to that data? If the B(OTA) application is similar to Naturalisation, then this is definitely the case as I had to state I had more than one passport/nationality. Otherwise I'm unable to help.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 pm

The passport application would have asked you if you hold a foreign passport (though it doesn't go on to ask you to specify which ones you have). Your Hong Kong ID would lead to reasonable inference that you have a Hong Kong passport.

As someone indicated, they ask for your foreign passports to ensure that your name is spelt exactly the same in your UK passport and other passports you hold. You can't have a UK passport in a different name from the one in another passport.

If you do not have a Hong Kong passport, you can respond to them saying you don't have one.

cashycash
Newly Registered

Post by cashycash » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input!