ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 Masters to Tier 2 Visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wanderlustie
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 Masters to Tier 2 Visa

Post by wanderlustie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi there,

I have been trying to look for an answer for my specific situation but haven't been successful so I'm hoping someone could provide insight. I'm on a Tier 4 visa, master's course with a course completion date of mid September, this year. I have already received a job offer with the starting date of August. I know that now with the new rules, I am able to apply for a tier 2 visa before my degree is awarded as long as I have sat all exams and handed academic papers, and receive a letter of completion from the school. I am planning to finish my dissertation by mid July and will be able to get a letter from my school about completion. My question is, would this be enough to satisfy the completion part of the requirement for switching to Tier 2 or does completion have to be after my course end date stated on CAS? I didn't see anywhere on the home office page that stated the duration of how long I need to be in my masters, only that I need an academic reference letter stating I am finished. I just want to make sure that if I apply for the tier 2 that this won't be something they can refuse me on.
Really hope someone could help clarify on this and thanks in advance!!

srsw

Re: Switching from Tier 4 Masters to Tier 2 Visa

Post by srsw » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm

wanderlustie wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 pm
I know that now with the new rules, I am able to apply for a tier 2 visa before my degree is awarded as long as I have sat all exams and handed academic papers, and receive a letter of completion from the school. I am planning to finish my dissertation by mid July and will be able to get a letter from my school about completion. My question is, would this be enough to satisfy the completion part of the requirement for switching to Tier 2 or does completion have to be after my course end date stated on CAS? I didn't see anywhere on the home office page that stated the duration of how long I need to be in my masters, only that I need an academic reference letter stating I am finished.
Yes, I believe so. Your uni visa team should be able to guide on the letters/paperwork from uni side.

Overlap with CAS end date doesn't matter as long as you complete your course, dissertation, exams, etc. and get a completion letter from uni.

I guess your Tier 4 visa expires in Jan 2020, so best to submit your application as soon as you get the completion letter so you have grace period to have stress-free time. Go for priority service so you can join/start earning soon, which means your priority service visa costs are self funded 😊
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

UKLL
Member of Standing
Malaysia

Post by UKLL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pm

srsw wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm
wanderlustie wrote:
I know that now with the new rules, I am able to apply for a tier 2 visa before my degree is awarded as long as I have sat all exams and handed academic papers, and receive a letter of completion from the school. I am planning to finish my dissertation by mid July and will be able to get a letter from my school about completion. My question is, would this be enough to satisfy the completion part of the requirement for switching to Tier 2 or does completion have to be after my course end date stated on CAS? I didn't see anywhere on the home office page that stated the duration of how long I need to be in my masters, only that I need an academic reference letter stating I am finished.
Yes, I believe so. Your uni visa team should be able to guide on the letters/paperwork from uni side.

Overlap with CAS end date doesn't matter as long as you complete your course, dissertation, exams, etc. and get a completion letter from uni.

I guess your Tier 4 visa expires in Jan 2020, so best to submit your application as soon as you get the completion letter so you have grace period to have stress-free time. Go for priority service so you can join/start earning soon, which means your priority service visa costs are self funded 😊
Having sat all exams and presented all academic papers likely means that you have had successful outcomes for them (i.e. you have passed all of them). In this case submitting your dissertation does not mean that you have completed the Course, you could fail your dissertation (hopefully not!!!), meaning you won't get your eligible qualification in expected time. You will likely need to wait until you get the mark of your dissertation.

Some Universities see completion of a Course as having passed all elements of the Course and the results have been reviewed and approved by the Examiner Board. When I was a student my University was unable to say that I had completed the Course (I had passed everything) until the Examiner Board approved the results. Approval means that you will 100% get your Certificate of Award, even it may be a few months later.

I hope this makes sense.

UKLL
Member of Standing
Malaysia

Post by UKLL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:48 pm

UKLL wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pm
srsw wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:06 pm
wanderlustie wrote:

Having sat all exams and presented all academic papers likely means that you have had successful outcomes for them (i.e. you have passed all of them). In this case submitting your dissertation does not mean that you have completed the Course, you could fail your dissertation (hopefully not!!!), meaning you won't get your eligible qualification in expected time. You will likely need to wait until you get the mark of your dissertation.

Some Universities see completion of a Course as having passed all elements of the Course and the results have been reviewed and approved by the Examiner Board. When I was a student my University was unable to say that I had completed the Course (I had passed everything) until the Examiner Board approved the results. Approval means that you will 100% get your Certificate of Award, even it may be a few months later.

I hope this makes sense.
But if you have successfully completed everything and got a letter from the Uni, then yes you can switch as soon as you get the letter