ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i cancel British Passport and apply ROE?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

be123+

Can i cancel British Passport and apply ROE?

Post by be123+ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi.

I am wondering whether it's possible to cancel a British passport and apply ROA - COE to my other passport?

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Can i cancel British Passport and apply ROE?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Your past posts suggest that you are on the Tier 1 Ent route and have not yet become a British citizen.

Yes, you can apply for a CoE-RoA if you do not have a current British passport, provided that you continue to hold another citizenship when you become a British citizen. If you lose citizenship of another country when you acquire British citizenship, by definition you cannot hold their passport.

Remember that a CoE-RoA cannot be used to prove that you are a British citizen, only that you have the right to reside in the UK. You would therefore not be able to claim UK consular assistance abroad, for instance. The visa-free travel will be based on your other passport, not as a British citizen, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

be123+

Post by be123+ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I am British by naturalisation and have not had a British Passport. Suppose i apply a British Passport now and it'll be valid for 10 years. Can i cancel that British Passport at some point and exchange it to COE ROA to my other passport?

I posted comments on other thread as trying to help others. But if this is by any means i am not allowed to do it. Please let me know.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:13 pm

What is your birth nationality??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:20 pm

be123+ wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:09 pm
Can i cancel that British Passport at some point
Not sure if there is a procedure to cancel a British passport. You can report it as lost or stolen, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no procedure for getting a British passport cancelled voluntarily. You would have wait for it to expire.

I suggest that if you have not acquired a British passport, go for a CoE-RoA in your non-British passport now. If you change your mind, you can move to a British passport more easily (your CoE-RoA will be cancelled at that point).

Also see Cancellation of Passports.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

be123+

Post by be123+ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Malaysia

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Which does not allow dual citizenship. You therefore risk have it revoked and facing potential penalties.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ ... ders-told/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:35 pm

It seems that the situation with regards to Malaysia is quite nuanced.

While dual nationality is frowned upon, it seems that the Malaysian constitution provides for Malaysian citizenship to be deprived by Federal Government order (rather than by action of law, as in India). Presumably, if (and until such time as) the Malaysian Federal Government does not order deprivation, one can be a dual Malaysian-other citizen.

Of course, note that I am not aware of the case or statute law in this field and this is based on a reading of the Federal Constitution located via Google Search.

See Part III, Chapter 2 of the Federal Constitution of Malaysia.

be123+

Post by be123+ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:49 pm

many would retain their passport by traveling on third country. This is to avoid any direct information given by airlines. As you may know that the airlines sends API in advance and the designated country would know the details of passengers.

I presume if the birth country doesn't know that someone has another passport. Then nothing would happen?

It's very interesting information and appreciate for your time for searching this information.

Hioru

Post by Hioru » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 am

be123+ wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:16 pm
Hi.

I am wondering whether it's possible to cancel a British passport and apply ROA - COE to my other passport?

Thanks
I was also curious of your question!
This is what I found - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _Final.pdf
Guide ROA: guide to the right of abode in the United Kingdom and applying for a certificate of entitlement wrote:We will check with Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) to see if their records show that you hold a passport. If HMPO records show that you hold a current UK passport, describing you as a British citizen or as a British subject with the right of abode in the UK, we will not issue a certificate of entitlement. This is because the law does not allow a person to hold both a passport and a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode. If you have lost your British passport you must notify HMPO so that their records can be updated. Until you notify HMPO of the loss of your passport an application for a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode may be refused, as records will show that you are the holder of a British citizen or British subject passport.
I was looking into this, as until you aquire your first UK passport you might get stuck abroad, because you need to have had a UK passport issued once to be able to request an emergency travel document (which is a right you want to have when you travel abroad just in case something happens!), but if would to request CoE first then I won't have that right for emergency documents. However, if I'm correct, if I do acquire my first British passport then in case I lose it I can then get the Certificate of Entitlement for my second passport and be eligible for emergency British travel document as I have had a British passport before.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 am

As I understand it, you can't have two travel documents stating your right to leave and enter the UK. You can have either a British passport OR a CoE-RoA in another passport.

By that logic, I would say that if you have a CoE-RoA in another passport, you will be refused an Emergency Travel Document. You could be issued an ETD if you also lost the passport containing the CoE-RoA. Alternatively, if you are in the country of your second nationality, the Embassy/High Commission could insist that you renew your non-British passport and reapply for a CoE-RoA. Or they could issue you a (perhaps a returning Resident) visa to reenter the UK, where you can reapply for a CoE-RoA or a new British passport.

Note that the above is my hypothesis, not based on government documentation.

Also note that ETDs are quite specific.
You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of 5 countries. You can also normally use it to return to the country you’re applying from if you live there.

Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you’ll need to apply for a new one.

You may need a visa to leave the country you’re in or to travel through other countries with your emergency travel document. Check with the embassy or consulate of each country.

If your final destination is the UK, border staff will keep your emergency travel document when you arrive. Border staff at a different final destination might also keep the document.

be123+

Post by be123+ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Secret.simon's logic makes sense for this. On the other hand, If you were to be issued another documents by British Embassy abroad. How would you be allowed to exit the country itself when it would be different passport to use when getting in the country?

I dont think it would be no wise as it would expose that you have another passport from different country and I understand that's not illegal.

The thing is I am not sure whether you can be refused for having a passport when you are British Citizen? Even thought it's granted by the secretary of state.

I've asked a friend of mine who works for international agency recently and it's possible to cancel a valid passport and he did it once. That's because his passport was damaged and wasn't able to use that passport to travel to middle east for special envoy.

Another thing is that you're also allowed to apply another second identical British passport and work perfectly fine for both.

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 am
As I understand it, you can't have two travel documents stating your right to leave and enter the UK. You can have either a British passport OR a CoE-RoA in another passport.

By that logic, I would say that if you have a CoE-RoA in another passport, you will be refused an Emergency Travel Document. You could be issued an ETD if you also lost the passport containing the CoE-RoA. Alternatively, if you are in the country of your second nationality, the Embassy/High Commission could insist that you renew your non-British passport and reapply for a CoE-RoA. Or they could issue you a (perhaps a returning Resident) visa to reenter the UK, where you can reapply for a CoE-RoA or a new British passport.

Note that the above is my hypothesis, not based on government documentation.

Also note that ETDs are quite specific.
You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of 5 countries. You can also normally use it to return to the country you’re applying from if you live there.

Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you’ll need to apply for a new one.

You may need a visa to leave the country you’re in or to travel through other countries with your emergency travel document. Check with the embassy or consulate of each country.

If your final destination is the UK, border staff will keep your emergency travel document when you arrive. Border staff at a different final destination might also keep the document.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:35 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:20 pm
I suggest that if you have not acquired a British passport, go for a CoE-RoA in your non-British passport now. If you change your mind, you can move to a British passport more easily (your CoE-RoA will be cancelled at that point).
Unsure if you can move to a British passport more easily, as the HMPO also requires primary evidence of British citizenship. They may just ignore a CoE-RoA.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:45 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:35 pm
Unsure if you can move to a British passport more easily, as the HMPO also requires primary evidence of British citizenship. They may just ignore a CoE-RoA.
In this context, I had meant that it is easier to move from a CoE-RoA to a British passport than in the other direction, because while a CoE-RoA is likely cancelled when issuing a British passport (when one must submit all uncancelled passports to HMPO), there is no publicly published procedure to request cancellation of a British passport.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:05 am

Yes. Thanks!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 am