ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difficult Circumstances

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bassisawesome
Newly Registered

Difficult Circumstances

Post by bassisawesome » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello,

I (British citizen) want to apply for a Spouse Visa for my Non-EU husband. It is proving extremely difficult to meet the requirements, because I am a full time student and I work at the same time. However I cannot meet the yearly income requirement simply because I am legally not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week (because of full time studies). If I could work the full 40 hours we'd be able to cover the financial requirement, but it would be illegal for me to work 40 hours a week. I am a 21 year old independent student without any support from parents, no one to help us with this. If we cannot make the financial requirement, I will have to quit my studies so that we can live in another country...

Surely we can be permitted some exemption, because I am a student? :?

Many thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Difficult Circumstances

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:24 pm

bassisawesome wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:17 pm
Hello,

I (British citizen) want to apply for a Spouse Visa for my Non-EU husband. It is proving extremely difficult to meet the requirements, because I am a full time student and I work at the same time. However I cannot meet the yearly income requirement simply because I am legally not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week (because of full time studies). If I could work the full 40 hours we'd be able to cover the financial requirement, but it would be illegal for me to work 40 hours a week. I am a 21 year old independent student without any support from parents, no one to help us with this. If we cannot make the financial requirement, I will have to quit my studies so that we can live in another country...

Surely we can be permitted some exemption, because I am a student? :?

Many thanks
If you are British citizen then you are allowed to work any number of hours. Its very shocking that you don't know it :shock: :shock:
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm

And no, there is not exemption in the circumstances you describe. If you don't meet the requirements, a visa won't be successful.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bassisawesome
Newly Registered

Post by bassisawesome » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am

So what are we supposed to do? Quit my studies and eliminate my future prospects in the UK or live abnormally here without my husband, communicating over the phone for 3 more years?

Also, I want to ask how savings are calculated, what is the calculation so that we know how much we’d need to have in the bank?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 am

The savings required are ((£18,600-salary)*2.5)+£16,000. In other words, savings below £16,000 aren't even considered.

If you did not have a salary at all, the savings required would be £62,500.

As mentioned above, there is no limit on how much you can work, alongside your studies, if you are a British student.

Alternatively, you can look at moving to a university in the EU, ideally before Brexit and have your husband join you there without any salary requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.