ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please Help!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Fiancée Visa Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi everyone. Can someone please help, I don't know what to do.

I live in Ireland. I have dual citizenship, Ireland and UK (born in Northern Ireland)

I want to bring over my Russian fiancée. I've been on welfare for more than two years but it's ended now. I have some savings.

I want to stay in Ireland, but UK is an option too. Ireland is our preference.

Can anyone help?

1. Will Ireland or the UK be easier?
2. How can I satisfy the Ireland financial requirements?
3. Will it matter I've been on social welfare for over two years (just ended) but I've had income from selling online too.

Many thanks

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Fiancée Visa Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm

There is no fiancée visa to Ireland or any similar category so if you have been living together for the past 2 years and able to prove it a De Facto Partnership visa will be the best route to follow:

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20F ... ationships

1. Will Ireland or the UK be easier?

Definitely Ireland!

2. How can I satisfy the Ireland financial requirements?

There is no financial requirements for this type of visa but it will help if you have enough income/savings to support yourself and your Russian fiancée without any social assistance from the government.

3. Will it matter I've been on social welfare for over two years (just ended) but I've had income from selling online too.

It won't matter going forward but make sure you have income/savings before applying for this visa, you will need to provide proof of income or enough savings when sending the application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Dear Max

Thank you for your kind reply.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. My fiancee lives in Russia currently. She's visited Ireland twice on a tourist visa. I proposed at Christmas, but not sure how to move forward.

We can stay at my parents house to begin with, but where do we begin in regards to immigration? We miss each other terribly and want to live together in Ireland. I'm afraid of a very complicated process being involved.

Thank you for your help!

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Also, how would we be in a situation whereby we'd been living together in Ireland for two years? Surely she'd need permission for this? I don't really understand.

Many thanks!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks for clarifying your current situation, that certainly helped.

I think that the next common step is to get legally married either in Ireland, Russia or anywhere else since you are already engaged, that would be the easiest way to bring her legally to Ireland.

If you decide to get married in Ireland she will need to apply for another tourist visa in order to give the State 3 months notice of intention to get married. Both of you will go through an interview and ultimately will be up to the registrar (interviewer) to issue a license to get married or not. The decision it's final and can't be appealed, your fiancée will need to leave the country and then comeback for the wedding if a license is issued.

See below:

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Marria ... hip%20Visa

Otherwise you can get married in Russia or somewhere else and then apply for a visa based on the marriage to an Irish national, usually these visas are processed within 6 months.

See section 1. How do I apply? scenario B. below:

http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Dear Max

Thanks for your info. Just to clarfiy, is this how the process would look?

1. She applies to come as my 'guest' to Ireland after I send an invitation to her (how long can she come for?)
2. While she's here, we go to the registrar to inform of intention to marry.
3. The interview occurs while she's still here on her visit as my guest (enough time?)
4. We are given a decision shortly after if license is granted or not?
5. She must then return to Russia, and applies for marriage visa.
6. What happens next?

Thank you!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Irishman346 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:30 pm
Dear Max

Thanks for your info. Just to clarfiy, is this how the process would look?

1. She applies to come as my 'guest' to Ireland after I send an invitation to her (how long can she come for?)
3. The interview occurs while she's still here on her visit as my guest (enough time?)
6. What happens next?

Thank you!

Short stay C visas are usually issued for 90 days, the immigration officer at the port of entry ultimately will decide how many days to grant her. If she's been to Ireland before you should be familiar with the process.

Yes.

Yes, most of the time you will be able to get an appointment with the registrar for the same week. If you live in Dublin or Cork (bigger cities) then it might take longer but they will try to accommodate everyone.

It depends, every couple is different. My guess is that the registrar (interviewer) will know there and then if this is a "bona fide" marriage or not. I don't think they are required by law to give you an answer straight away though so let's assume that it will take a day or two to assess your personal circumstances.

Correct. You will be giving the State 3 months notice and she can't stay here to wait for that to happen because her visa will expire.

6. What happens next?

Assuming that the marriage license is issued and you get legally married in Ireland then use the link provided before to apply for a Stamp 4 for your soon-to-be-wife on the basis of marriage to an Irish national. Once the application is initially reviewed (~8 weeks) a temporary Stamp 4 will be issued and your soon-to-be-wife will be able travel, study or work with no restrictions in Ireland until the application has been completed.

After 3 years or legal residence (Stamp 4) in Ireland she will be able to apply for Irish naturalisation (citizenship) and consequently Irish passport on the basis of marriage to an Irish national.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 pm

I don't know how to thank you Max, you've been so helpful. Thank you a thousand times.

I am going to look over what you've told me and get back to you again soon - I'm sure I'll have more questions if you don't mind!

Thank you again!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Irishman346 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 pm
I don't know how to thank you Max, you've been so helpful. Thank you a thousand times.

I am going to look over what you've told me and get back to you again soon - I'm sure I'll have more questions if you don't mind!

Thank you again!
No problem! I'm glad I was able to help with your questions :)

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi again Max

In regards to the short stay 'c' visa, it states under the title;

"If a friend or family member in Ireland is helping to pay for your visit"

that "if they are self employed , they must provide a letter that includes:

A description of their business and the products or service they provide
Proof that their business is trading, for example:
Their most recent financial accounts (clear colour photocopy)
Recent tax return (clear colour photocopy
confirmation of payments from customers from within last 6 months (printed emails or letters)"

Since I was making money online while on jobseekers I am a bit edgy about this - I haven't got any tax documentation or accounts because I am still deciding between a limited company and sole trading so I cannot provide this - although I do have around 20,000 euros in my bank account with healthy deposits over the past six months and I have no problem providing those but cannot get around how to provide proof that I am trading - will this be adequate for the customs official do you think? Both for the short term C visa and for the marraige visa also? Because we will be applying for the marraige visa shortly afterwards.

Thank you Max

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Irishman346 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 pm
Hi again Max

In regards to the short stay 'c' visa, it states under the title;

"If a friend or family member in Ireland is helping to pay for your visit"

that "if they are self employed , they must provide a letter that includes:

A description of their business and the products or service they provide
Proof that their business is trading, for example:
Their most recent financial accounts (clear colour photocopy)
Recent tax return (clear colour photocopy
confirmation of payments from customers from within last 6 months (printed emails or letters)"

Since I was making money online while on jobseekers I am a bit edgy about this - I haven't got any tax documentation or accounts because I am still deciding between a limited company and sole trading so I cannot provide this - although I do have around 20,000 euros in my bank account with healthy deposits over the past six months and I have no problem providing those but cannot get around how to provide proof that I am trading - will this be adequate for the customs official do you think? Both for the short term C visa and for the marraige visa also? Because we will be applying for the marraige visa shortly afterwards.

Thank you Max
Hey @Irishman346!

I would say provide the same docs you provided before for her 2 previous visas to Ireland, that seemed to work fine. In my opinion with your savings and proof of frequent deposits that should suffice the visa officer.

What other docs you provided before for her previous visas?

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Dear Max

For ther previous two visits, she came as a 'tourist' ie competely unrelated to me, as if she were just a visitor. This was just the quickest and easiest option for us at the time but obviously won't be suitable anymore.

So just to clarify, all I need for my fiancee to come and live and get married in Ireland with me, my savings and deposits into my account will be enough you feel? I don't need tax documents for my business or any kind of accounts?

It has me quite stressed actually. I want so badly for my finacee to come here but I have not started the process yet of 'legitimising' my business as far as the tax authorities are concerned. I am still deciding between a limited company and continuing as a sole trader. I don't earn a huge amount but probably the average in Ireland.

You think we'll be okay with the savings and deposits into my account?

Thank you as always Max

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Irishman346 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm
Dear Max

For ther previous two visits, she came as a 'tourist' ie competely unrelated to me, as if she were just a visitor. This was just the quickest and easiest option for us at the time but obviously won't be suitable anymore.

So just to clarify, all I need for my fiancee to come and live and get married in Ireland with me, my savings and deposits into my account will be enough you feel? I don't need tax documents for my business or any kind of accounts?

It has me quite stressed actually. I want so badly for my finacee to come here but I have not started the process yet of 'legitimising' my business as far as the tax authorities are concerned. I am still deciding between a limited company and continuing as a sole trader. I don't earn a huge amount but probably the average in Ireland.

You think we'll be okay with the savings and deposits into my account?

Thank you as always Max
Just to clarify, this time around when she's coming just to give notice of intention of marriage to the State she can come on a tourist visa as well, no need to complicate things.

Make sure you have all the documents needed when attending the marriage notification appointment: https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-dea ... eland.html

Yes, once you are legally married you will be OK with the savings and deposits into your account.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Dear Max

Thank you for your kind help and patience with my questions. I hope I''m not bothering you with my repeated clarifications.

1. You are saying that even though she has been twice before on a standard tourist visa, she can come here again via this method for her next visit for us to go and give notice for intention to marry? Won't this look strange to the customs official when she comes the next time? As in - she came three times as a 'tourist' and suddenly shes marrrying an Irish citizen? She doesn't need to come as my guest on a short stay C visa?

2. If we do decide to go down the route of the short stay C visa for her next visit, is that going to be much more complicated? Are the documents that I need to provide as her host, required for her application before she arrives? Or only for inspection by the customs official upon her entry?

3. There are some documents that are required for the notification of marriage. Some things I feel must not apply to her, ie PPS number etc. Do you know what she would need beyond birth certificate and passport?

Thank you as ever Max! You are helping us very much!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Irishman346 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm
Dear Max

Thank you for your kind help and patience with my questions. I hope I''m not bothering you with my repeated clarifications.

1. You are saying that even though she has been twice before on a standard tourist visa, she can come here again via this method for her next visit for us to go and give notice for intention to marry? Won't this look strange to the customs official when she comes the next time? As in - she came three times as a 'tourist' and suddenly shes marrrying an Irish citizen? She doesn't need to come as my guest on a short stay C visa?

2. If we do decide to go down the route of the short stay C visa for her next visit, is that going to be much more complicated? Are the documents that I need to provide as her host, required for her application before she arrives? Or only for inspection by the customs official upon her entry?

3. There are some documents that are required for the notification of marriage. Some things I feel must not apply to her, ie PPS number etc. Do you know what she would need beyond birth certificate and passport?

Thank you as ever Max! You are helping us very much!

Up to you, people travel all the time to get married in other countries on their holidays. She doesn't need to come as your guest to give the State notice of intention to marry, she can do so as a tourist.

If she specifies that she's coming to Ireland to visit you then yes, you will need to provide financial documentation but only if you are paying for the trip. If she's paying for the trip herself just a letter explaining that she's visiting you and staying with you, etc.

PPS obviously doesn't apply to her. The birth certificate must be translated to English or Irish, I'm pretty sure the Russian embassy can do so for her in Dublin.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Thank you Max!

Will be in touch again soon with more questions. You have been so helpful, thank you.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 am

Dear Max

I have some more questions please;

1. I read online (can't find the webpage now) that anyone who was in reciept of a social welfare payment for any time within the past two years is ineligable to bring over their spouse? Is this true? I am not on jobseekers any more but I am concerned because I have been for years although this is now ended. I am quite alarmed by this as this would completely make us ineligable.

2. Also, as I was saying to you before, I do have healthy deposits and a good balance in my account and I can satisfy the rules regarding cumulative gross income of 40k in the past 3 years. Should I be concerned that this is in direct contradiction to the fact that I was on welfare? Will the immigration officers be able to tell if I was on social welfare? I am very concerned about this as I will be providing bank statements.

3. The bank statements will really be enough? I won't need to provide books, or tax documents, which I obivously don't have?

Thank you Max

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am

It would be much easier for you to get married in Russia. All you need is your passport and its certified translation into Russian, a document that says you have never been married (or divorce papers, or death certificate if widowed) and an application form downloadable from the internet. If for some reason you are refused a Russian visitor visa, you can get married via a civil ceremony in the Russian Consulate in Dublin. It would also be considered "getting married in Russia" because you'd be on their territory and you'd be issued a marriage certificate in Russian. The ceremony and certificate cost €27. I would call the consulate for details.

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Your fiancee can use a visitor visa to come to Ireland in order to get married but be prepared to face the wrath of an immigration person processing her application for Stamp 4. If you are unlucky she won't be approved on the spot and will have to send a lengthy application in the post.

Also, Russian Consulate doesn't do document translations but they can legalise the translation done by a certified translator. It would cost €20 to translate a one-page document and €36 to apostille it. Source: their website and a good friend who underwent the whole thing last year.

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:22 pm

And there would be no need for her to leave the country after the ceremony, moreover, if you are super organized (have all the supporting documents ready) you can apply for her Stamp 4 as soon as the marriage cert is translated and apostilled, just check if you need to make an appointment with INIS.

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Jordans for your kind advice and help - what about my concerns regarding social welfare? It says somewhere that I can't have been on welfare for any time during the previous two years - I have just come off it last week - will I have a problem do you think?

I have been earning money online so I have deposits and savings but I have no tax dccuments or book-keeping unforunately!

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm

Unfortunately you do need to provide evidence showing that you meet the published financial criteria set out at 17.2 of Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification (e.g. P60s for last 3 years, bank statements for previous 6 months, P21 statements, recent pay slips, financial accounts, etc).

I am not sure how people making money online in the absence of a 9 to 5 job do this. Your current and savings account statements may be sufficient or may be not. You will find out after you apply. Could you become self-employed and start reporting your income? Your fiancee’s application for Stamp 4 would not be approved otherwise, and she may face a deportation order. Did you research other ways for her to be here while you are taking care of the bureaucratic side of things? She could study or work if hired (as an au pair, for example), there are also long term volunteering projects (google knows better than me though). Good luck!

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 am

Thank you Jordans for your kind help and advice

Irishman346
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Irishman346 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Thoughts Max?

Irishman346 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 am
Dear Max

1. I read online (can't find the webpage now) that anyone who was in reciept of a social welfare payment for any time within the past two years is ineligable to bring over their spouse? Is this true? I am not on jobseekers any more but I am concerned because I have been for years although this is now ended. I am quite alarmed by this as this would completely make us ineligable.

2. Also, as I was saying to you before, I do have healthy deposits and a good balance in my account and I can satisfy the rules regarding cumulative gross income of 40k in the past 3 years. Should I be concerned that this is in direct contradiction to the fact that I was on welfare? Will the immigration officers be able to tell if I was on social welfare? I am very concerned about this as I will be providing bank statements.

3. The bank statements will really be enough? I won't need to provide books, or tax documents, which I obivously don't have?

Thank you Max

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Irishman346 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm
Thoughts Max?

Irishman346 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 am
Dear Max

Thank you Max
Once you are legally married in Ireland or in Russia that will not matter because she will be coming as the spouse of an Irish (EU) citizen.