ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 1A - LTR - Naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iamwhoever

Stamp 1A - LTR - Naturalisation

Post by iamwhoever » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:19 am

Does anyone have any details on the Stamp 1A? I'm on it as a trainee accountant. I know there are other who are curious about it. A contract is usually 4-5 years, so by the end of it (sometimes with 1 year on a green card) one would be eligible to apply for LTR or citizenship if it is considered reckonable residence.

I'm thinking it's between a Stamp 1 and Stamp 2, but for long term residency and naturalisation purposes, does it count as a stamp 1? I know student status does not count as reckonable residence for LTR or naturalisation purposes, you have to have been working and supporting yourself in Ireland, which one does with a Stamp 1A, as part of one's training for qualification. If anyone had any information on this, your help would be much appreciated.

I know as a qualified accountant I will qualify for a green card and that it shouldn't be a problem getting one, but I was hoping to be able to apply for LTR and naturalisation after one year of being there on a green card. Any one have any thoughts? I know I've searched quite a bit, but I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks.

Cheers!

GreenCardApplicant
Newly Registered

Post by GreenCardApplicant » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:44 pm

I would love to know the answer to this as well.. I was on stamp 1A for 3.5 years and it would be great if that time counted.. for all the reasons you stated above!
But to date, I have never even read anything official about the existence of stamp1A.. so if there are any info out there I'll eat my hat!! :lol:

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Anyone have any insight?

Here's the info I have been going over:

Explanation of Stamps

STAMP 1
This person is permitted to remain in Ireland on conditions that the holder does not enter employment unless the employer has obtained a permit, does not engage in any business or profession without the permission of the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform and does not remain later than a specified date.
* Non-EEA national issued with a work permit
* Non-EEA national issued a Green Card Permit
* Non-EEA national who have been granted permission to operate a business in the State
* Working Holiday Authorisation holder

STAMP 1A
This person is permitted to remain in Ireland for the purpose of full time training with a named body until a specified date.
Other employment is not allowed.
*Non-EEA national studying accountancy

Long Term Residency

The position in relation to granting long term residence (currently processed as an Administrative Scheme) is as follows : Persons who have been legally resident in the State for over five years (ie: 60 months) on the basis of Work Permit/work authorisation/work visa conditions may apply to this office for a five year residency extension. In that context they may also apply to be exempt from employment permit requirements.

I know LTR looks for work permit, so I'm assuming that even though the Stamp 1A gives you authorisation to work, that it still may not count, since technically you aren't issued a work permit. Not sure though.

However, for those of you who are non-EEA nationals on a Stamp 1A training as an accountant, the good news is that you sill qualify for a green card once you qualify as an accountant. Also, once the new immigration law comes into effect, there will be a fast track to residency for those on the Green Card Scheme. I believe after 2 years, a person on the GCS will be able to apply for LTR.

Does anyone know anything about the new immigration bill? Like when it will come into effect?

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Yes, I'd not be sure of that either. My first year in Ireland was on a working holiday visa (stamp 1) yet this does not count at all, despite being able to work for whomever I pleased.

robby1
BANNED

Post by robby1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:49 pm

hi there mr. whoever,
as faras i know stamp 1a is for accountancy training visa, after being 5 year on such status you are eligible to apply for nutralisation/LTR..n your spouse can join you in ireland ...
thanks
jahangir

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm

robby1 wrote:hi there mr. whoever,
as faras i know stamp 1a is for accountancy training visa, after being 5 year on such status you are eligible to apply for nutralisation/LTR..n your spouse can join you in ireland ...
thanks
jahangir
I'm a ms., not a mr., but all is good. So, The stamp 1A for trainee accountants counts towards your 5 years needed for naturalisation. Do you know of anyone who has used this their time on this stamp for naturalisation/LTR? That will be grand. I just would like to remain in Ireland permanently. It would suck to start from scratch after 3.5 years on a Stamp 1A.

Thanks. Cheers!

robby1
BANNED

Post by robby1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:24 pm

yes once u have spend 5 years on this status you will apply for LTR and can live in republic permenently, many of my friendz in dublin are on same status and they have checked with DOJ they told the same story..
regards

GreenCardApplicant
Newly Registered

Post by GreenCardApplicant » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 am

robby1 wrote:yes once u have spend 5 years on this status you will apply for LTR and can live in republic permenently, many of my friendz in dublin are on same status and they have checked with DOJ they told the same story..
regards
Hi there, can anybody else confirm this? If it is possible to get LTR on stamp 1A time then I could have applied long time ago :o

honty
Newly Registered

how about the spouse while u r on a training Visa?

Post by honty » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:56 am

Guys, I also have similar concerns about our status after the completion of training. However, could you please shed some light on this:

I have been offered a training contract with one of the Big 4. I am married and I would like my spouse to accompany me since it does not make sense that we live apart for 3.5 years. I have substantial bank balance and property in my hometown to show that I can afford to keep her with me and can take care of all expenses.

My parents are also giving a legal undertaking that they would support me financially if needed.

Could you shed some light on the possibility of my spouse being granted a visa? As much as I have researched, there are hardly any clear and defined policies about STAMP 1 (A) visa.

iamwhoever

Re: how about the spouse while u r on a training Visa?

Post by iamwhoever » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 pm

honty wrote:Guys, I also have similar concerns about our status after the completion of training. However, could you please shed some light on this:

I have been offered a training contract with one of the Big 4. I am married and I would like my spouse to accompany me since it does not make sense that we live apart for 3.5 years. I have substantial bank balance and property in my hometown to show that I can afford to keep her with me and can take care of all expenses.

My parents are also giving a legal undertaking that they would support me financially if needed.

Could you shed some light on the possibility of my spouse being granted a visa? As much as I have researched, there are hardly any clear and defined policies about STAMP 1 (A) visa.
Honestly, your best bet would be to email GNIB. I have received very detailed responses about the Stamp 1A before I knew exactly what it was. I'd say ask when you go to register with the GNIB, but many times the people there will have to check with someone else. If you email them, at least the right person should get it. I've always received a response to my emails about the Stamp 1A in a week or less.

Good luck!

honty
Newly Registered

Post by honty » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 pm

I have emailed them twice and every time, they have asked me to go ahead and apply for my wife's (join spouse visa) alongside mine. Somehow, people generally tell me otherwise! :s

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:28 pm

honty wrote:I have emailed them twice and every time, they have asked me to go ahead and apply for my wife's (join spouse visa) alongside mine. Somehow, people generally tell me otherwise! :s
Here is the link to the INIS website with the info.

The question is whether you qualify to sponsor you spouse immediately. If the GNIB is telling you that you are eligible to apply. I believe you are eligible on this basis:

"has a valid Working Visa and is either in full-time employment in Ireland within the skill sector for which the visa was issued on the date of application or has an offer of full-time employment for the skill sector for which the visa was issued."

Also, your spouse will be able to apply for a work permit once in the state; however, there is no guarantee.

Best of luck! Cheers!

honty
Newly Registered

Post by honty » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:27 am

I really appreciate your prompt responses. Have you gotten any authentic information on our eligibility to apply for naturalisation/LTR once we have completed our time in Ireland? Would the 3.5 years of training count towards the cumulative 5 year requirement?

P.S Dont mean to ask you personal questions but are you working in a similar industry? (i.e accountancy)

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 am

honty wrote:I really appreciate your prompt responses. Have you gotten any authentic information on our eligibility to apply for naturalisation/LTR once we have completed our time in Ireland? Would the 3.5 years of training count towards the cumulative 5 year requirement?

P.S Dont mean to ask you personal questions but are you working in a similar industry? (i.e accountancy)
Sent you a PM in regards to your post.

GreenCardApplicant
Newly Registered

Re: ...

Post by GreenCardApplicant » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:28 pm

honty wrote:Have you gotten any authentic information on our eligibility to apply for naturalisation/LTR once we have completed our time in Ireland? Would the 3.5 years of training count towards the cumulative 5 year requirement?
I'd also like the answer to this question please :lol:

iamwhoever

Re: ...

Post by iamwhoever » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:41 pm

GreenCardApplicant wrote:
honty wrote:Have you gotten any authentic information on our eligibility to apply for naturalisation/LTR once we have completed our time in Ireland? Would the 3.5 years of training count towards the cumulative 5 year requirement?
I'd also like the answer to this question please :lol:
I haven't yet, but I will ask this week when I go to register with the GNIB.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Well everyone, I got an answer from GNIB today. Sorry guys, it's bad news. The Stamp 1A is considered a student stamp, so it does not count as reckonable residence towards LTR and Naturalisation. I had 3 different people confirm it while I was waiting for my GNIB card.

However, for those of you just starting, by the time you finish and qualify for a Green Card, the new immigration rule should be in place, so after 2 years on a Green Card you can apply for LTR.

Best of luck to all.