ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

1st Passport faster via online or post office check&send?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Andrew0
Newly Registered

1st Passport faster via online or post office check&send?

Post by Andrew0 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi All

I was just wondering, from your experience, is getting the first passport after naturalisation, faster via the online application or via the post office check&send service?

Thanks all in advance for your help.
Andrew

alterhase58
Germany

Re: 1st Passport faster via online or post office check&send?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Fast or slow depends on the workload at HMPO, coming up to holiday periods tends to be very busy so avoid if possible. My own online application took 10 working days in December 2016 which included an interview (rare these days). Check the timeline for passport applications: british-citizenship/british-passport-ap ... 80618.html
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:41 pm

You only appeared to get ILR late last year.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/question-abo ... l#p1626181

Have you already applied for and been approved/attended the ceremony to naturalisation as British as the spouse of a British citizen??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Andrew0
Newly Registered

Post by Andrew0 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:41 pm
You only appeared to get ILR late last year.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/question-abo ... l#p1626181

Have you already applied for and been approved/attended the ceremony to naturalisation as British as the spouse of a British citizen??
Yes, we applied and the application has been approved. (With the help of this forum).

The citizenship ceremony is on the 19th march, so I was hoping to go away for Easter break, if apply for the passport on the 19/20th march.

sebgei
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by sebgei » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:10 pm

My wife and I applied online in February for our first passport after naturalisation. We are both EEA nationals, both applications went to HMPO Glasgow at the same day, identities were confirmed at the same day (within 1 hour of each other), supporting documents arrived the same day, and both applications joined the processing queue at exactly the same time. So the background situation is as similar as possible.

My wife had her application approved 10 days after it joined the queue and already has her new passport. My application is now at day 15 and still in the processing queue, with 21 days of total processing time and counting. With the weekend and duration needed to print and courier the passport, I expect a total processing time of 4 weeks or more, so quite a bit longer than the timelines reported here where most applications are done and dusted in 2 weeks.

I called the HMPO helpline and they said my application is still being processed (I was told that they confirmed that I am British and won't need an interview, and simply have to wait longer). I really hope to receive my passport soon as I have to travel very regularly overseas for work with the next trip coming up in 2 weeks...

Long story short: the duration can be really variable even within the same HMPO. I guess check and send vs online application seems to be less of a factor.