ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU settled status granted date?(towards naturalisation)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cooperakis01
Newly Registered
Greece

EU settled status granted date?(towards naturalisation)

Post by cooperakis01 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi there

I am an EU national and I’ve been living in the uk for 5.5 years. 1 year studying 4,5 years working. I am interested to get the British citizenship.

If I apply for the eu settled status the granted date will be the date of the letter, which means that I would have to wait for one more year even if I would be here more than 6 to get the naturalisation. However, if I do the old EEA PR application the granted date would be 5 years after the date that I got in the country which means that 6 years after I got into the country I could apply for naturalisation even if I don’t hold the PR for 1 year.

Is the granted day of the EU settled status only the date you receive the letter or it can also be backdated to the date you complete 5 years of residency?

Thanks

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Re: EU settled status granted date?(towards naturalisation)

Post by NikiGio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am

cooperakis01 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 pm
If I apply for the eu settled status the granted date will be the date of the letter, which means that I would have to wait for one more year even if I would be here more than 6 to get the naturalisation.
Correct.
cooperakis01 wrote:
However, if I do the old EEA PR application the granted date would be 5 years after the date that I got in the country which means that 6 years after I got into the country I could apply for naturalisation even if I don’t hold the PR for 1 year.
That's right - although technically, the 5 years start from the date you start being a qualified person, not the date you entered the country. But this is often dependent on the case worker. In my case, I arrived on 11 January and started working on 15 February - the case worker decided to start the 5 years on 11 January. I guess because the two dates were only a month apart, it didn't really make much difference.
But if you arrive say on 1 January and start working or becoming a qualified person on say 1 June, they would probably start counting the 5 years on 1 June.
cooperakis01 wrote:
Is the granted day of the EU settled status only the date you receive the letter or it can also be backdated to the date you complete 5 years of residency?
No - Settled Status can't be backdated.
cooperakis01 wrote:
However, if I do the old EEA PR application
Note that if No Deal goes ahead on 29 March or whenever, the EU Immigration route applications such as EEA (PR) are likely to close on the day the country leaves the EU with No Deal.
If May's Deal goes ahead on 29 March (unlikely), EEA (PR) applications are likely to close on 31 December 2020.
If you decide to go ahead with the EEA (PR) application in 6 months and you are granted PR, you will need to swap the PR document for Settled Status before 31 December 2020 (for free).
cooperakis01 wrote:
I am an EU national and I’ve been living in the uk for 5.5 years. 1 year studying 4,5 years working. I am interested to get the British citizenship.
To recap:
You will be able to apply for citizenship with your backdated EEA (PR) when 6 years have passed since you became a qualified person.
You will be able to apply for citizenship via Settled Status when 1 year has passed since the date you acquired Settled Status.
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

nady_k
Newly Registered

Post by nady_k » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Dear NikiGio

I am an EU citizen, and would also like to apply for citizenship. I have been in the UK for over 6 years.

1- Could you please confirm that for the time being, even if we obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain via Settled Status, it is not possible to use this for the Citizenship application, since 12 extra months are necessary and the Settled Scheme has only recently come to operation in the last few months (so not the necessary 12 months period). I am unclear, why on the Citizenship application form, it offers either options to give the date of Settled Status or fill in details of PR?

2- Could you also expand on the possible Brexit scenarios you mentioned, affecting the various applications for citizenship:

Will the application route for the residency requirements via either Permanent Residence or Settled Status still be in place or no longer valid after the exit date (29 March or later), and this depending on whether and which deal is accepted?

If not, would that only concern those who have not sent their application yet?
I am currently filing for the online test Settled Status, hopefully before 29 March. But I am struggling to obtain the necessary documentation and so I may end up choosing to use the PR route instead, retrospectively as I have qualifying evidence from previous years, but I will not likely be able to send this until after 29 March.

Will the Citizenship application also be altered in case of a no deal?

Thank you

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

nady_k wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 pm
Dear NikiGio

I am an EU citizen, and would also like to apply for citizenship. I have been in the UK for over 6 years.
nady_k - you should really open your own thread, rather than hijacking another user's thread.
nady_k wrote:
1- Could you please confirm that for the time being, even if we obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain via Settled Status, it is not possible to use this for the Citizenship application, since 12 extra months are necessary and the Settled Scheme has only recently come to operation in the last few months (so not the necessary 12 months period).
Correct - unless you're married to a Brit. If you're married to a Brit, you can apply immediately after gaining Settled Status.
nady_k wrote:
I am unclear, why on the Citizenship application form, it offers either options to give the date of Settled Status or fill in details of PR?
It probably hasn't been updated yet.
nady_k wrote:
2- Could you also expand on the possible Brexit scenarios you mentioned, affecting the various applications for citizenship:

Will the application route for the residency requirements via either Permanent Residence or Settled Status still be in place or no longer valid after the exit date (29 March or later), and this depending on whether and which deal is accepted?
The PR application route is likely to be removed if the UK leaves with No Deal, on the day it leaves with No Deal. So if the UK leaves with No Deal on 29.03.19, it's likely that the PR route will close on that day.
The PR application route will be open until 31.12.2020 if the UK leaves with May's Deal.
The Settled Status route of course will be open until 30.06.2021 regardless of whether the UK leaves with May's Deal or with No Deal.
The Settled Status route would presumably only be closed if the UK remains in the EU (in case Art.50 is revoked for example).
nady_k wrote:
If not, would that only concern those who have not sent their application yet?
Difficult to answer this question. Presumably PR applications already sent in before the day the UK leaves with No Deal would still be processed, but we don't know - the HO hasn't actually said anything formal about what happens to EU Immigration Route applications if the UK leaves with No Deal.
All it has said is that EU Family Permits will continue for non-EEA family members wishing to join their EU family members after Brexit, regardless of whether the UK leaves with May's Deal or No Deal.
nady_k wrote:
I am currently filing for the online test Settled Status, hopefully before 29 March. But I am struggling to obtain the necessary documentation and so I may end up choosing to use the PR route instead, retrospectively as I have qualifying evidence from previous years, but I will not likely be able to send this until after 29 March.
No need to rush the Settled Status application, you have until 30.06.2021 to fill it in and send it (or until 31.12.2020 if you already have PR).
nady_k wrote:
Will the Citizenship application also be altered in case of a no deal?
Presumably yes, but the HO hasn't said anything about this as far as I know.
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:24 pm

NikiGio wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm
nady_k wrote:
Dear NikiGio

nady_k - you should really open your own thread, rather than hijacking another user's thread.
Then best not to reply on the hijacked topic. It obscures your answer and your advice from other people who might have benefitted from it but won't see it as it's under an unrelated title. When this happens I start a new topic with an adequate title, quoting the OP, and in the hijacked topic I post the link to the new topic, making clear the question is off-topic.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.