ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

De Facto Visa 2 year cohabitation period

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

conbob
Newly Registered
Ireland

Unmarried partner of an Irish citizen - EEA family permit

Post by conbob » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Hello,

I am an Irish citizen and my unmarried partner is a non-EU citizen (Chinese). We currently live together in Ireland. We have been cohabiting since May 2017. May 2017-September 2017 in the UK. September 2017-January 2018 long distance as she moved to Ireland for education, during this time I was flying every week or every two weeks to visit. January 2018-Present in Ireland. I returned to Ireland when I was able to secure a job. Is it possible for my partner to apply for an EEA family permit in Ireland or must she apply as being in a de facto partnership with an Irish national through INIS? From what I have read the wait times for a response are significantly shorter when applying for an EEA family permit, but this does not seem to be an option when applying in your home country. Has anyone had previous experience or advice on this matter?

Many Thanks,
conbob

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Unmarried partner of an Irish citizen - EEA family permit

Post by max307 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:17 pm

conbob wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Hello,

I am an Irish citizen and my unmarried partner is a non-EU citizen (Chinese). We currently live together in Ireland. We have been cohabiting since May 2017. May 2017-September 2017 in the UK. September 2017-January 2018 long distance as she moved to Ireland for education, during this time I was flying every week or every two weeks to visit. January 2018-Present in Ireland. I returned to Ireland when I was able to secure a job. Is it possible for my partner to apply for an EEA family permit in Ireland or must she apply as being in a de facto partnership with an Irish national through INIS? From what I have read the wait times for a response are significantly shorter when applying for an EEA family permit, but this does not seem to be an option when applying in your home country. Has anyone had previous experience or advice on this matter?

Many Thanks,
conbob
She can't apply for an EEA family permit based on her relationship to you because legally you are not related, if you want to go that route you will need to get legally married first.

If you don't plan to get legally married then the only option available is the De Facto Partnership route.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

conbob
Newly Registered
Ireland

De Facto Visa 2 year cohabitation period

Post by conbob » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:39 pm

Hi All,

My partner and I have been cohabiting since May 2017, a period of almost 1 year and 11 months. We are interested in applying for the De Facto visa and I was wondering is the 2 year cohabitation period strictly enforced? Would time spent cohabiting after the application is made be considered in the decision also? We have all the necessary documentation ready to submit but we were wondering is it necessary to wait until May to ensure we meet the two year mark?

Many Thanks,
Conor