ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for citizenship and passport at the same time

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ax1ss
Newly Registered
Greece

Apply for citizenship and passport at the same time

Post by ax1ss » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello,

In Feb 2019 I have applied through the new home office's online service for a British citizenship over naturalisation , using Sopra Steria.

I have submitted all my documents and my biometrics were taken during my appointment with Sopra steria .

Today I received a post inviting me at a ceremony as my application was successful :)

It is unclear to me if they will give me the corresponding passport as well or would I need to separately apply for the passport after the ceremony.

Thoughts?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for citizenship and passport at the same time

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:20 am

No they won't. Passport is a separate application which you can only apply for after you have attended your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ax1ss
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by ax1ss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 am

Thanks.
I know in the past ( by Oct. 2018) this was different as you could have applied for both in one go. Odd.
If they don't hand you a passport , what is really the reason for taking your pictures and biometrics during the application meeting ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:38 am

I know in the past ( by Oct. 2018) this was different as you could have applied for both in one go. Odd.
Yes through NCS or NDRS at the council. There were a few issues though, with applicants being refused citizenship and also losing the passport fee paid.
If they don't hand you a passport , what is really the reason for taking your pictures and biometrics during the application meeting ?
To confirm your identity and the you are the person on the paperwork who is applying. Otherwise anyone could say my name is so and so and apply with anyone's documents, ie identity theft.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ax1ss
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by ax1ss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 am

Thank you!

Cocoaliz
Newly Registered

Post by Cocoaliz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:06 am

Does it mean we need to submit referees form again? ie ask our referees to sign again for the passport application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Cocoaliz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:06 am
Does it mean we need to submit referees form again? ie ask our referees to sign again for the passport application?
Yes. For Passport it is one professional referee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ax1ss
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by ax1ss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 pm

As I quickly checked on gov.uk website, the passport application is online and it may require an interview. Any ideas what this interview would be about, questions etc?

Also, would you need to meet the referee in person again, to sign the form or can this be done online?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 pm

As I quickly checked on gov.uk website, the passport application is online and it may require an interview. Any ideas what this interview would be about, questions etc?
You can apply online OR use the paper form you get from the Post Office. Interviews are rare these days. Examples in link below. It really is only to confirm you are who you say you are etc.

british-citizenship/passport-interview- ... 64893.html
Also, would you need to meet the referee in person again, to sign the form or can this be done online?
I am not familiar with the online form so cannot comment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:59 pm

If you apply online, you will be asked to provide an email address for the referee, and they will receive an email that will ask them to confirm your identity and address and then provide their details so you don't have to meet them and they don't have to sign anything. Just let them know they'll get the email. Only after they have confirmed your identity you will receive another email with the address where to send your documents to. It's pretty straight forward and you are updated all the time in the process by email and text.

ax1ss
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by ax1ss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Thant sounds much better from the traditional way. The waiting time stated as 6 weeks , which is not ideal, but hey.

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:53 pm

No, it doesn't take that long don't worry, it's around 10 days - 2 weeks, there is a timeline for passport processing time you can follow.

ax1ss
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by ax1ss » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:40 pm

A , most likely, silly question, but when you acquire British citizenship, do you hold it for life or can it be in jeopardy if you are absent from the country for i e. X years etc

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Any British citizen can leave the UK for any period of time or forever, for whatever reason. It is not like PR or ILR with a limit on absence after which you loose that status.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.