ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as spouse of British citizen – but we're separated!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Naturalisation as spouse of British citizen – but we're separated!

Post by cabbagebadger » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Hello all,

I recently got my ILR application approved after spending over a decade in the UK (was a student for a bunch of years), but some time after my application went in, my husband and I temporarily separated. We have now decided that this will probably be permanent, and will divorce later this year.

In the meantime, I'd like to apply for naturalisation because I have a hard time getting visas to visit my Europe-based family, and frankly, after a decade of being scared of being kicked out, I want it to be over.

My husband and I are on good terms, but he's currently staying with family over in Ireland, and I'm giving him some space.

I have 2 questions:
1) Do I understand correctly that being separated does not negate my right to apply? Having looked through the form, there is a question field there that asks for my husband's address. Would it disqualify me to put down my UK address and his Irish one separately? I'd rather not lie.

2) My husband is Irish-English. He was born in the UK in 1982, qualifying for British citizenship automatically (like all those born before 1983). Until we got married, he never had a British passport because he'd never needed it, and I think he might have a hard time finding it because he has never used it. In the guidance, I read that I have to supply a copy of each page of his passport (including the blank ones). All I have is the title page, and a copy of his birth certificate. Is this enough? When we applied for a fiancee visa before we got married, UKVI insisted on seeing a copy of his British passport because for them the birth certificate was insufficient, so I'm concerned this would be an issue once more.

Would be hugely grateful for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation as spouse of British citizen – but we're separated!

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:07 pm

cabbagebadger wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Hello all,

I recently got my ILR application approved after spending over a decade in the UK (was a student for a bunch of years), but some time after my application went in, my husband and I temporarily separated. We have now decided that this will probably be permanent, and will divorce later this year.

In the meantime, I'd like to apply for naturalisation because I have a hard time getting visas to visit my Europe-based family, and frankly, after a decade of being scared of being kicked out, I want it to be over.

My husband and I are on good terms, but he's currently staying with family over in Ireland, and I'm giving him some space.

I have 2 questions:
1) Do I understand correctly that being separated does not negate my right to apply? Correct. Having looked through the form, there is a question field there that asks for my husband's address. Would it disqualify me to put down my UK address and his Irish one separately? I'd rather not lie. That's fine, and the correct thing to do, stating the facts.

2) My husband is Irish-English. He was born in the UK in 1982, qualifying for British citizenship automatically (like all those born before 1983). Until we got married, he never had a British passport because he'd never needed it, and I think he might have a hard time finding it because he has never used it. In the guidance, I read that I have to supply a copy of each page of his passport (including the blank ones). All I have is the title page, and a copy of his birth certificate. Is this enough? When we applied for a fiancee visa before we got married, UKVI insisted on seeing a copy of his British passport because for them the birth certificate was insufficient, so I'm concerned this would be an issue once more.Not aware there is an exemption available for this - unless anyone else can comment.

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:07 pm
cabbagebadger wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Hello all,

I have 2 questions:
1) Do I understand correctly that being separated does not negate my right to apply? Correct - separation is not a legal status. Having looked through the form, there is a question field there that asks for my husband's address. Would it disqualify me to put down my UK address and his Irish one separately? I'd rather not lie. That's fine, and the correct thing to do, stating the facts.

2) My husband is Irish-English. He was born in the UK in 1982, qualifying for British citizenship automatically (like all those born before 1983). Until we got married, he never had a British passport because he'd never needed it, and I think he might have a hard time finding it because he has never used it. In the guidance, I read that I have to supply a copy of each page of his passport (including the blank ones). All I have is the title page, and a copy of his birth certificate. Is this enough? When we applied for a fiancee visa before we got married, UKVI insisted on seeing a copy of his British passport because for them the birth certificate was insufficient, so I'm concerned this would be an issue once more.Not aware there is an exemption available for this - unless anyone else can comment.

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by cabbagebadger » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Terrific! Thank you very much for the quick response. :-) I kinda figured on both of those, but found it hard to confirm. I'm keen to hear any other opinions on either of those questions in case anyone has objections, but for now I think this is probably enough for me to proceed on. Fingers crossed my husband still has his passport!

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by cabbagebadger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 am

Hello,

I hope this gets a little visibility despite continuing the same thread.
So, I've finally started filling out the naturalisation application form, and so far, so good! I'm almost ready to submit.

However, one thing makes me a little concerned: it is still to do with my husband. As stated earlier, he resides in a different place right now. He is dual Irish-British, and is currently staying in Ireland for the purposes of being close to his ageing parents, as well as to immerse himself into work.

When the naturalisation form gets to this part – about his present whereabouts – it allows one to fill in standard address details, but does not have a "Country" field; it ends with "postcode", which makes me think it is intended for UK-only addresses.

I filled out the fields with his current details, and put down "Ireland" into "Town". At the end of the form, it asks the final question:
"Do you have any other details that you would like to be considered regarding this applicant and their application to be registered as a British Citizen?"

I wrote in the following: "My husband is currently staying in Ireland to be close to his parents who have had some health issues (there was no "Country" field available when providing his current address)."

Am I overthinking this? Do I need to explain anything at all? Or is this legitimately an eyebrow-raiser?

In my ILR application (made back in December) I had explained that he was staying near family in Ireland because of their health concerns, although no address was requested. I feel like, since I'm sticking to the same facts, this ought to be fine... it's just the fact that the form appears to expect British addresses that makes me pause.

Looking forward to hearing responses from you knowledgeable people. Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:13 pm

You are overthinking.
Your application is individual to you - as long as you can comply with the requirements.
UKVI will not sit in judgement over your marital arrangements - you are married until divorced.
The additional note is fine. In the majority applicants will use UK addresses.

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by cabbagebadger » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:44 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:13 pm
You are overthinking.
Your application is individual to you - as long as you can comply with the requirements.
UKVI will not sit in judgement over your marital arrangements - you are married until divorced.
The additional note is fine. In the majority applicants will use UK addresses.
Alterhase58 – thank you very much indeed for responding. :-) I've become so twitchy about every word I put down that it was hard to see things more reasonably, so it was really valuable to get some advice. Not that I'm blindly relying on what you said, but getting a second opinion was great.

I've now submitted, and will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again!