ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU settlement scheme and EU Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

EU settlement scheme and EU Family Permit

Post by cheesemungo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi guys,

I am confused about the EU settlement scheme and EU Family Permit. Can anyone help me out here so I can get to start the application at least. I am an Irish passport holder so I guess I do not need to apply for the EU settlement scheme. The question I have for the EU settlement scheme and EU Family Permit is for my mother. She does not have any UK residence permit issued to her before. We are outside the country now. I applied for a EEA family permit for her outside UK three years ago but it was refused by Home Office saying that she was not wholly depending on me and I left it at that (no appeal or further application to Home Office). I went to UK with my mom for holiday last year. We were stopped in London Airport for 20 mins because they mentioned to me that my mom has an immigration history and they needed to check but at the end, they let us go and stamped in my mom's passport with 6 months leave to enter. My mom left UK after 3 weeks and has not return since.

I have been offer a permanent job in UK and moving back next month once when the contract comes through. I would like to know, if my mother (non visa national) fly in with or without me to UK, can she apply for the EU settlement scheme without any residence permit issued to her prior? Will her EEA family permit three years ago create a problem for the EU settlement scheme application?

Also, I read something in the Home Office website stating that my mother will need to have her biometric info taken with application as well. How long does it take to get an appointment for the biometric info once if I submit the application via android phone? Does she need to submit her passport for the EU settlement scheme to the Home Office?

Any advice or info would be appreciate!!!! Thx again.

kamoe

Re: EU settlement scheme and EU Family Permit

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 pm

cheesemungo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 pm
I applied for a EEA family permit for her outside UK three years ago but it was refused by Home Office saying that she was not wholly depending on me and I left it at that (no appeal or further application to Home Office).
She needs to be dependent on you to apply for the Settlement Scheme:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... ss-citizen
If you’re a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
You can apply if you’re in a relationship with an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen as their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner.

You can also apply if you’re related to an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, their spouse or civil partner as their:

child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old
dependent child over the age of 21
dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent
dependent relative
I went to UK with my mom for holiday last year. We were stopped in London Airport for 20 mins because they mentioned to me that my mom has an immigration history
What is her full UK immigration history?
if my mother (non visa national) fly in with or without me to UK, can she apply for the EU settlement scheme without any residence permit issued to her prior?
There is an equivalent FP for the settlement Scheme that she can apply for abroad, but she needs to be eligible as stated above (e.g. your dependent):

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-set ... ily-permit
Will her EEA family permit three years ago create a problem for the EU settlement scheme application?
No, as long as she is now eligible, she can apply de nuovo.
Also, I read something in the Home Office website stating that my mother will need to have her biometric info taken with application as well. How long does it take to get an appointment for the biometric info once if I submit the application via android phone?
If she does not already have a biometric card she will not be able to apply using the Android app. She will need to fill her applicaiton online, then send documents by post.
Does she need to submit her passport for the EU settlement scheme to the Home Office?
That's what I understand, but different people get asked different documents. There are a number of ongoing threads where people are sharing this information.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Dear Kamoe,

Thank you for your reply.

For the answer to your questions:

"What is her full UK immigration history?"

My mom had been in UK as a visitor for many times prior to her EEA FP refusal. She only got refused once for EEA FP while we were over seas and she was let in last year when she was entering UK with me and they gave her a visitor stamp for 6 months. She had never been refused to enter UK before.

The refusal letter stating that she was not wholly depending on me and my other brother with his wife was under the same roof as us. I paid money into my mother bank account monthly to show that I was paying for all the expenses for the apt. Instead, Home Office saying that my mother had other transcations under the bank account which Home Office believed that my mother does not need my money to live. Anyway, that was that and my mother and I were living under the same roof still. This time, I just got a job offer in UK so I have to move. Therefore, I was thinking if my mother enter as a visitor and staying with me, will she get into trouble after she enter and apply for the EU Settlment Scheme.

"No, as long as she is now eligible, she can apply de nuovo."

What is de nuovo?

"That's what I understand, but different people get asked different documents. There are a number of ongoing threads where people are sharing this information."

They have this free of charge settlement service for document scan in my local authority area. I wonder if I take my mother to scan her passport and other document, will Home Office let my mother keep the passport during the process of application?

Thank you again for your info.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm

cheesemungo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 pm
Therefore, I was thinking if my mother enter as a visitor and staying with me, will she get into trouble after she enter and apply for the EU Settlment Scheme.
This makes no sense. If you mother is genuinely dependent on you she should apply for a FP. A visitor visa is not the right way to entry the UK if he intention is to stay.

Now, I just realize it seems you have to have Pre-Settled or Settled status for your mother to apply for the FP within the Settlement scheme:
EU Settlement Scheme family permit
You can apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit to come to the UK if all of the following apply:

you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
you’re the ‘close’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national (excluding UK nationals)
the EEA citizen you’re joining has ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme
the EEA citizen you’re joining is in the UK already or travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application

As you are irish and you do not have a Settlement status, seems like her option is still the regular FP: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eea-family-permit
"No, as long as she is now eligible, she can apply de novo."

What is de novo?
de novo = from scratch / again
[/quote]
"That's what I understand, but different people get asked different documents. There are a number of ongoing threads where people are sharing this information."
They have this free of charge settlement service for document scan in my local authority area. I wonder if I take my mother to scan her passport and other document, will Home Office let my mother keep the passport during the process of application?
I do not have 1st hand experience on this. Ask in another topic or check if a similar question has already been asked in the many forums dealing with Settled status applications.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi Kamoe,

Thank your for your reply. Yes, I am Irish so I need to apply for pre-settle or settle status as well before my dependent family to apply for the FP?

Yes, I know it is not proper to apply within UK as a visitor but I am just worry that they say no again when she applies from outside of UK.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:17 pm

For Family Permit under EUSS you don't need to prove the dependency for parents anymore. It is "assumed".

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:30 pm

Lululuna wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:17 pm
For Family Permit under EUSS you don't need to prove the dependency for parents anymore. It is "assumed".
Hi Lululuna,

Thank you for your reply. Does it mean as long as I proof that my mother is my mother than I won't need to supply any financial statement for supporting the my mother? Thanks again.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 pm

It seems so. I'm waiting for my settled status and then I'll apply for my mum.
Check this guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ly-permits
"You must be satisfied, including by the required evidence of family relationship, that
the applicant is the direct relative in the ascending line of the relevant EEA citizen or
of their spouse or civil partner (see family members of a relevant EEA citizen). This
includes a grandparent or great-grandparent. Their dependency on the relevant EEA
citizen or on the spouse or civil partner is assumed, and the applicant is not required
to provide evidence of this"
I have some questions myself like whether I need to show my financial circumstances. But until people start applying there is no way to know.

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:15 am

Lululuna wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 pm
"You must be satisfied, including by the required evidence of family relationship, that
the applicant is the direct relative in the ascending line of the relevant EEA citizen or
of their spouse or civil partner (see family members of a relevant EEA citizen). This
includes a grandparent or great-grandparent. Their dependency on the relevant EEA
citizen or on the spouse or civil partner is assumed, and the applicant is not required
I have some questions myself like whether I need to show my financial circumstances. But until people start applying there is no way to know.
Hi Lululuna,

I spoke to the EU Settlement unit. I applied for my pre-settle status and they are looking for my passport. I am overseas at the moment and will be back into the country next month, so I cannot do anything about my status until next month. Anyway, I gone to the "https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... -selection" and try to do a sample application for my mother prior to the actual application. At the very end of the application, it was looking for dependency document such as money transfer etc.

I know in link you provided in last post mentioned that dependency is assumed for close family. I have doubt about this because if it is assumed, why would they still looking for dependency document in the actual application? Anyway, if you have gone through the process for your parent, can you please share info so that I can try to do it as well when I actually getting my pre-settle status? Thanks again.

pranab0077

Post by pranab0077 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Lululuna wrote:
For Family Permit under EU Settlement Scheme you don't need to prove the dependency for parents anymore. It is "assumed".
Hi Lululuna
In light of the new EU Settlement Scheme Family permit,it's said that ''Their dependency on the relevant EEA
to provide evidence of this''.

I am also looking to get further info if anyone has applied for non-eea parents and the evidence haven't been
required in that case.

Pls, share your experience.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 am

pranab0077 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm
Lululuna wrote:
For Family Permit under EU Settlement Scheme you don't need to prove the dependency for parents anymore. It is "assumed".
Hi Lululuna
In light of the new EU Settlement Scheme Family permit,it's said that ''Their dependency on the relevant EEA
to provide evidence of this''.

I am also looking to get further info if anyone has applied for non-eea parents and the evidence haven't been
required in that case.

Pls, share your experience.
My mum got it and she did not submit any evidence of money transfers

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 am

cheesemungo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:15 am
Lululuna wrote:
Hi Lululuna,

I spoke to the EU Settlement unit. I applied for my pre-settle status and they are looking for my passport. I am overseas at the moment and will be back into the country next month, so I cannot do anything about my status until next month. Anyway, I gone to the "https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... -selection" and try to do a sample application for my mother prior to the actual application. At the very end of the application, it was looking for dependency document such as money transfer etc.

I know in link you provided in last post mentioned that dependency is assumed for close family. I have doubt about this because if it is assumed, why would they still looking for dependency document in the actual application? Anyway, if you have gone through the process for your parent, can you please share info so that I can try to do it as well when I actually getting my pre-settle status? Thanks again.
Yes, there was a box about dependency evidence we had to tick in the online form (there were two of them actually, identical ones). They were under optional documents but we had to select both as without doing so, we couldn't go to the next step of the form. We submitted a support letter where I explained why we had to select this box and that actually we won't provide any dependency confirmation as it is not required for parents.
At the end just in case I provided documents about my financial circumstances, a bank statement, a payslip, mortgage statement etc. To show I can support her in the UK.
Hope it helps.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am

And another thing I just remembered. We did not provide any documents about her financial circumstances (like whether she is a pensioner or whether she has any savings or properties).

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Your mom is non Visa national . She can enter the UK under U.K. immigration law and then apply for pre settlement if you are living in the UK . You are just lucky . Case worker made an exception because they can under Eu settlement

People who applied for pre settled or settled as an extended family member here in the UK need to show they are dependent on Eu national
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm
Your mom is non Visa national . She can enter the UK under U.K. immigration law and then apply for pre settlement if you are living in the UK . You are just lucky . Case worker made an exception because they can under Eu settlement

People who applied for pre settled or settled as an extended family member here in the UK need to show they are dependent on Eu national
Hi Askmeplz82,

Whos mom is non visa national were you referring to?

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Lululuna wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am
And another thing I just remembered. We did not provide any documents about her financial circumstances (like whether she is a pensioner or whether she has any savings or properties).
Hi Lululuna,

Was your non EEA mother inside UK when you applied? Thx.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:58 pm

No. My mum has never been to the UK in her life.

pranab0077

Post by pranab0077 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 am

Lululuna wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 am
cheesemungo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:15 am
Lululuna wrote:
Hi Lululuna,

Yes, there was a box about dependency evidence we had to tick in the online form (there were two of them actually, identical ones). They were under optional documents but we had to select both as without doing so, we couldn't go to the next step of the form. We submitted a support letter where I explained why we had to select this box and that actually we won't provide any dependency confirmation as it is not required for parents.
At the end just in case I provided documents about my financial circumstances, a bank statement, a payslip, mortgage statement etc. To show I can support her in the UK.
Hope it helps.
Hi Lululuna
Can you upload the sample support letter that you wrote, please? As we need to tick the dependency evidence box, but we're not sure what should we need to write.
If you can, it'll be much more helpful and guide us.thanx.

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Lululuna wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:58 pm
No. My mum has never been to the UK in her life.
Dear Lululuna,

If you don't mind I ask, whats the time line for your mother's application for the EU Settlement FP. I applied in the last week of May while I am still outside UK. I do not have pre-settle or settle status as yet. I submitted my application with the andriod app already but HO is looking for my passport and I cannot send them my passport because I am outisde UK at the moment and due to go back in the last week of June. I also submitted an application for the EU settlement FP outside UK. My mother was refused for EEA FP about 4 years ago and we did not appeal or submit another application since. HO sent me an email that my mother's application for EU Settlement FP is not straight forward and it will take longer for them to come to a decision but they did not mentioned the time frame. I did mentioned to them in my mother's application that I would like to fly back to UK with my mother. HO still have her passport. I am starting a new job in UK in June. I did submit the supporting evidence (financial), her passport and my UK job offer.

hrak1978
Member of Standing

Post by hrak1978 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello Cheesemungo & Lululuna,

Like u said you have applied for your mom what financial support documents did u submit?

If possible list of documents u submitted will be great help.

Many thanks
{ I'm not a solicitor, legal professional or immigration advisor, all of my posts are based on my online search and my own PR, ILR (LR), 2 FTT and 2 UTT refused but finally after 3 years of long battle I got my SETTLED STATUS. }

cheesemungo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by cheesemungo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 pm

hrak1978 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Like u said you have applied for your mom what financial support documents did u submit?

Many thanks
Hi.

I just sent in the bank statements which showing all the transactions from my account to her account for the two years period.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 pm

pranab0077

Post by pranab0077 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:27 pm

cheesemungo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 pm
hrak1978 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Many thanks
Hi.

I just sent in the bank statements which showing all the transactions from my account to her account for the two years period.
Hi Lululuna
Thank you very much for your post.
it clarified our queries as well as is too informative.
very much appreciate your helping post and approach.

Just wondering, you submitted your bank statement showing all the transactions from your account to your mom's account. I suppose, you also transfer money between the accounts though you didn't submit any money transfer receipts/docs.
So, if there are no bank transactions, should we show money transfer receipts despite the fact that it's not necessary.
thanks for your suggestions.

Lululuna
Newly Registered

Post by Lululuna » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 am

cheesemungo submitted bank statements with transfers. I didn't.
The only bank statement I submitted was my EEA husband's latest bank statement to show he receives his salary there (the money transfers to my mum happen from my account and we never submitted my bank statements). We did not provide any single piece of document to show money transfers to my mum and got the visa. So dependency is truly assumed and doesn't need to be proved even if it's hard to believe :D

pranab0077

Post by pranab0077 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Lululuna wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 am
cheesemungo submitted bank statements with transfers. I didn't.
The only bank statement I submitted was my EEA husband's latest bank statement to show he receives his salary there (the money transfers to my mum happen from my account and we never submitted my bank statements). We did not provide any single piece of document to show money transfers to my mum and got the visa. So dependency is truly assumed and doesn't need to be proved even if it's hard to believe :D
Thanks Lululuna once again.It's really helpful seeing your experience.If we'd need any other que regarding the application,we'd post again.