ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mistake on Document Certifying Permanent Residence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

imi grain
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hungary

Mistake on Document Certifying Permanent Residence

Post by imi grain » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Hello all!

In 2017 I received my PR card, the 'Document Certifying Permanent Residence'. On delivery I opened the envelope, checked I had all my IDs and other returnable documents, opened the blue card, looked at my photo, the name, and satisfied it was all good, I stashed it away in a folder, waiting for the right time to apply for Naturalisation.

Now, with the Life in the UK and language exam certificates under my belt, I took the blue card out again. To my dismay I noticed that my name is probably incorrect on it.

Let's say, my name is Paul Warwick-Smith.

On the blue card however, it is shown as Warwick, Paul Smith. On the lower half of the sticker it has XXZZZWarwick<<Paul<Smith<<<<<<<.

The accompanying letter has been addressed to Mr Paul Warwick-Smith. But now I can see that they are calling me Dear Warwick, rather than Dear Warwick-Smith.

So I called the number on the letter and asked to speak to the person who issued my PR doc. I wasn't allowed to speak with them. I wasn't able to give the card number or the case ID to the HO, because they don't have access to my records.

However, they told me it was all my fault for not checking the pr card thoroughly, at the time of receipt.

Anyhow, I asked them what the next step is. How to get this corrected. They asked why I want it corrected. Because of the citizenship.Then the lady said I should include a letter with my application, explaining that I only picked up the mistake now and ask the case worker to take this into consideration. I explained unfortunately I cannot afford to spend £1330 in the hope that the case worker would be understanding so I would like to remedy this before. She did not offer to take a complaint or to get it fixed. She suggested re-applying with all the necessary documents for Permanent Residency, which can take up to 6 months, she said. Or I could apply for Settled Status and take it from there. But the SS team said if I do that, I will have to wait a year before applying for citizenship.

Has anyone successfully applied for the Citizenship with a formatting issue on their PR card?

cryvate
Netherlands

Re: Mistake on Document Certifying Permanent Residence

Post by cryvate » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:29 pm

I can probably alleviate some of your stress.

My name goes something like: Jacob-Rees Mogg, however my DCPR came out as "Jacob Rees Mogg." I, like you, did not realise until much later that this error had been made. The Home Office gives contrary advice because for BRPs there are much stricter rules on corrections. You can get your DCPR corrected by sending it to some address with a cover letter.

I however did not have success with this, because the DCPR matched the data on the chip of my identity card. I proceeded with the naturalisation application regardless and it went without a hitch and they got my name right this time.