ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What process do we go through to get an Irish Citizenship?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered

What process do we go through to get an Irish Citizenship?

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I am a British National, married to an Indian National and living in UK. We’ve been together for 7 years, married for 2.5

My husband has got the 10 year visa route which he has to renew every 2.5 years. I am currently in the middle of applying for an Irish Citizenship on the basis that both of grandparents are born and bred in Ireland.

We’ve found out that my husband may be able to surrender his Indian citizenship completely (he wants to settle and live in UK indefinitely) and automatically get an Irish citizenship without having to wait another 10 years before he can apply for a British Citizenship. HO fees are very expensive to pay every 2 and a half years so this may help financially.

Is this possible? Or do we have to become residents of Ireland first before he can apply? I’ve never worked or lived in Ireland. Any routes or what I need to look up would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: What process do we go through to get an Irish Citizenship?

Post by littlerr » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 pm

We’ve found out that my husband may be able to surrender his Indian citizenship completely (he wants to settle and live in UK indefinitely) and automatically get an Irish citizenship without having to wait another 10 years before he can apply for a British Citizenship.
There is no such thing.

If your grandparents were born in Ireland, you can apply for the citizenship using FBR.

The right to inherit the citizenship is for you only. It has nothing to do with your spouse. Your spouse, as an Indian national, typically, needs to:
- Obtain a work permit on his own merit. He needs to then work and live in Ireland for 5 years before he can apply for the Irish citizenship; OR
- Obtain a Stamp 4EUFAM based on marriage to an EU national. You both will need to live in Ireland for 5 years before he can apply for the Irish citizenship; OR
- Obtain a Stamp 4 based on marriage to an Irish national. You will need to have your approval for FBR first (which takes about 6-10 months), and then you both will need to move to Ireland and live here for 3 years before he can apply for the Irish citizenship.

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered

Re: What process do we go through to get an Irish Citizenship?

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Ok. :D Thank you for your reply.