ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR long residence: Request to list of all your friends and family in your home country. Really?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

ILR long residence: Request to list of all your friends and family in your home country. Really?

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi everyone

I will be eligible for ILR in September, and just to get familiar with the form and required information, I started to fill in the online application.

A few things stood out:

1) You now have to fill in all your absences individually in the form. Has anyone tried to maybe just list the latest one, or just a few, and supply a word file with the rest? Over 10 years, it's a long list and I already have it done in word format for a previous application!

2) If you have spent time as the family member of a EU national, you are asked to provide evidence of your relationship, exactly as if you were also applying for a Residence Card in the EEA route!!! What happens if you don't supply all this, I wonder?

But specially, and this is the focus of this post:

3) You are asked to list every family member and friend you keep in contact with in your home country. :shock: :shock: :shock: This list could easily reach 300 people for me, so I'm no going to do this. I will just list my immediate family then say that in general I keep in touch with 50 people over social networks and see them ocassionally, and very rarely see the other 250, in no particular order or preference and that in good faith I do not think it relevant of productive to list any single one of them. Has anyone attempted something similar?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR long residence: Request to list of all your friends and family in your home country. Really?

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Thought you were applying for 'settled/pre-settled' status under the EU Settlement Scheme??
1) You now have to fill in all your absences individually, and cannot update a documents that lists them! Has anyone tried to maybe just list the latest one, or just a few, and attach a word file with the rest? Over 10 years, it's a long list and I already have it done in word format for a previous application!
If you run out of space, then add the additional spreadsheet.
2) If you have spent time as the family member of a EU national, you are asked to provide evidence of your relationship, exactly as if you were also applying for a Residence Card in the EEA route!!! What happens if you don't supply all this, I wonder?
If you don't supply it, your ILR will be refused. You have to proved that your EU spouse/family member was a qualified period for the whole time you are claiming under the EEA rules and submit all the documents asked for. Note that if PR is likely to fail due to the EU FM not being a qualified person, then ILR based on Long residence will also fail.
But specially, and this is the focus of this post:

3) You are asked to list every family member and friend you keep in contact with in your home country. :shock: :shock: :shock: This list could easily reach 300 people for me, so I'm no going to do this. I will just list my immediate family then say that in general I keep in touch with 50 people over social networks and see them ocassionally, and very rarely see the other 250, in no particular order or preference and that in good faith I do not think it relevant of productive to list any single one of them. Has anyone attempted something similar?
The form does not ask for EVERY person to be listed. You are reading too much into it and completely overthinking the question. The Social groups question is NOT about facebook or any social media app.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe

Re: ILR long residence: Request to list of all your friends and family in your home country. Really?

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, CR001!
CR001 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:32 pm
Thought you were applying for 'settled/pre-settled' status under the EU Settlement Scheme??
I am, but looks increasingly likely that I will get only Pre-Settled status for now, as I have only spent 3 years with a RC. That is, if I ever get a decision on my case (it's been three months and counting and caseworker doesn't seem to want to lift a finger). In theory if we all understand the rules correctly, I will only be eligible for Settled Status in February 2021.

I will complete 10 years in the UK in September, so ILR might be a faster route for me (albeit expensive). I know one application would cancel out the other, so not submitting anything for now. Just keeping options open.
I'm referring to the online application, so not the case of running out of space, but having to click and fill in the same form section about 30 times. Definitely considering adding just a few, then submitting a document for the rest.
If you don't supply it, your ILR will be refused. You have to proved that your EU spouse/family member was a qualified period for the whole time you are claiming under the EEA rules and submit all the documents asked for. Note that if PR is likely to fail due to the EU FM not being a qualified person, then ILR based on Long residence will also fail.
I see. I suppose this has to do with my RC being valid only as long as I have still a relationship with my partner, and that he is still exercisig treaty rights (throughout), and so to verify I have been legal, I have to prove this again. OK, makes sense.
The form does not ask for EVERY person to be listed. You are reading too much into it and completely overthinking the question. The Social groups question is NOT about facebook or any social media app.
You are right, it does not say the word EVERY but it does say the word ANY:
Do you have any family in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years? - List their names, where they live, how you are related to them, and what type of contact you have with them

Same with friends.

(That being said, I have a big family, one of my grandmothers had 16 kids, the other 10. Imagine the tree down to sons and daughters, then grandsons and granddaughters, and so on. I'm not talking about social networks when I mention the number 300 :wink: , my family in my hometown easily reaches 150-200 people, actual, real family I see face to face outside facebook.)

I suppose my question is about where to draw the line. My immediately family is a no brainer, but I rather not involve anyone else, including friends. It just feels wrong to choose anyone and put their names on an application like that.

Bottom line is: Can i get away with only listing my immediate family? No further family and no friends? I really feel uneasy listing friends. I prefer to explain that although I might see them on occasion, I do not keep a special contact with any particular individual, with any order or preference, and that therefore I chose not to list them. In all honesty all of my close friends are in the UK.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:15 pm

I am, but looks increasingly likely that I will get only Pre-Settled status for now, as I have only spent 3 years with a RC. That is, if I ever get a decision on my case (it's been three months and counting and caseworker doesn't seem to want to lift a finger). In theory if we all understand the rules correctly, I will only be eligible for Settled Status in February 2021.

I will complete 10 years in the UK in September, so ILR might be a faster route for me (albeit expensive). I know one application would cancel out the other, so not submitting anything for now. Just keeping options open.[/quote]
Are you married or unmarried?? Given your number of frequent posts, I don't have the time or energy now to see what your immigration history is. Remember that if you are unmarried, your time only starts counting from date RC was issued.
I'm referring to the online application, so not the case of running out of space, but having to click and fill in the same form section about 30 times. Definitely considering adding just a few, then submitting a document for the rest.
You should complete as much as possible in the online form. Once it won't add more, then add the rest as an attachment.
I see. I suppose this has to do with my RC being valid only as long as I have still a relationship with my partner, and that he is still exercisig treaty rights (throughout), and so to verify I have been legal, I have to prove this again. OK, makes sense.
Again, not sure sure if you are married or unmarried and what your visa status was before you got the RC.
You are right, it does not say the word EVERY but it does say the word ANY:
Do you have any family in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years? - List their names, where they live, how you are related to them, and what type of contact you have with them

Same with friends.

(That being said, I have a big family, one of my grandmothers had 16 kids, the other 10. Imagine the tree down to sons and daughters, then grandsons and granddaughters, and so on. I'm not talking about social networks when I mention the number 300 :wink: , my family in my hometown easily reaches 150-200 people, actual, real family I see face to face outside facebook.)

I suppose my question is about where to draw the line. My immediately family is a no brainer, but I rather not involve anyone else, including friends. It just feels wrong to choose anyone and put their names on an application like that.

Bottom line is: Can i get away with only listing my immediate family? No further family and no friends? I really feel uneasy listing friends. I prefer to explain that although I might see them on occasion, I do not keep a special contact with any particular individual, with any order or preference, and that therefore I chose not to list them. In all honesty all of my close friends are in the UK.
You are really overthinking this. Stating immediate and extended family and a few friends is fine, no need to provide any explanations. Social groups would be something like a church group or knitting club even for example
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Are you married or unmarried??
Unmarried.
Given your number of frequent posts, I don't have the time or energy now to see what your immigration history is.
Not expecting you to ;)
Remember that if you are unmarried, your time only starts counting from date RC was issued.
Yup. RC was issued in February 2016.
You should complete as much as possible in the online form. Once it won't add more, then add the rest as an attachment.
OK!
Again, not sure sure if you are married or unmarried and what your visa status was before you got the RC.
I have had a string of different visas, Student Tier 4, PSW, Tier 2, Then RC. I can see how the HO can easily verify everything but my legality during the RC, hence the demand for evidence of relationship and treaty rights again, so makes sense.
You are really overthinking this. Stating immediate and extended family and a few friends is fine, no need to provide any explanations. Social groups would be something like a church group or knitting club even for example
OK, for the sake of complying I'll chose the latest 5 friends I met at home, and never tell them I put their name on an application (It does feel wrong, though!)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:32 pm

I have had a string of different visas, Student Tier 4, PSW, Tier 2, Then RC. I can see how the HO can easily verify everything but my legality during the RC, hence the demand for evidence of relationship and treaty rights again, so makes sense.
What was the expiry date of your Tier 2 visa??
OK, for the sake of complying I'll chose the latest 5 friends I met at home, and never tell them I put their name on an application (It does feel wrong, though!)
[/quote]
I don't believe you have to specifically NAME people. You can simply state, as many do, what I have highlighted above.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:13 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:32 pm
What was the expiry date of your Tier 2 visa??
Not a straightforward answer, but roughly:

My Tier 2 visa was originally due to expire in February 2016.

Then, timeline at the time:

-September 2015: I applied for my RC.
-Mid December 2015: I resigned from the job that sponsored the Tier 2 visa
-Early January 2016: I received notice that the end of my visa would be earlier than originally allowed, due to my resignation (although I struggle to find the exact date).
-20 January 2016: Went to home country (I remember my Tier 2 was still valid)
-20 January 2016: Applied for a Family Permit in home country... as soon as I landed!
-27 January 2016: Family Permit issued
-04 February 2016: Back in the UK with Family Permit (Tier 2 had expired)
-08 February 2016: RC issued

So I was abroad when my Tier 2 expired, spending a total of 18 days abroad. I also clearly remember I had planned the trip so I could still use the Tier 2 to regain entry into the UK while my RC was issued, then I realized this would not be possible, and applied for FP instead while abroad.
I don't believe you have to specifically NAME people. You can simply state, as many do, what I have highlighted above.
This is what they say:
Do you have any friends in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years?

Provide details
List their names, where they live, how you are related to them, and what type of contact you have with them

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 pm

This is because so they have clear picture about your background

If you apply under human right or private life they will use this against you

I know people apply on the basis of private life says they have build life in the UK / their all friends and family in the UK / there is no body in back home
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021