ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Naturalisation query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NaturalBrit
Newly Registered

Spouse Naturalisation query

Post by NaturalBrit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi all - thank you for your guidance so far with all my immigration queries

I hold a British passport now (via the T2 General 5 year + 1 year ILR route)

My spouse has submitted her ILR application via the 5 year PBS dependent route. Please could you help with a couple of queries for her Naturalisation application, as she is eligible for British passport as soon she gets her ILR

- Firstly, please could you clarify whether she should apply through the 3 year OR the 5 year route, as she will have to prove her presence in the UK on this date 3/5 years ago

- Secondly, is there any minimum requirement regarding her absence from the UK during the 3/5 year qualifying period

- Lastly, please could you share any additional documents that are required for spouse’s application (I have the list of the documents that I submitted for my Naturalisation)

Thanks in advance

Kind regards
A

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Naturalisation query

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:23 pm

- Firstly, please could you clarify whether she should apply through the 3 year OR the 5 year route, as she will have to prove her presence in the UK on this date 3/5 years ago
She can apply now based on 3 year residence and being married to a BC. She must therefore have been physically present in the UK 3 years ago on the same date she submits her application.
- Secondly, is there any minimum requirement regarding her absence from the UK during the 3/5 year qualifying period
3 year app is 270 days absence in the 3 years and 90 days in the 12 months preceding date of application. 5 years route would be the same you had to meet.
- Lastly, please could you share any additional documents that are required for spouse’s application (I have the list of the documents that I submitted for my Naturalisation)
Same minimal docs plus your passport/naturalisation cert and marriage cert.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NaturalBrit
Newly Registered

Post by NaturalBrit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Thank you CR001 😊

Do we need to mention the route - 3year or 5 year somewhere in the AN form, or are these two separate forms? Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Same form AN. She would apply under Section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act, ie. spouse of British Citizen 3 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NaturalBrit
Newly Registered

Post by NaturalBrit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks again CR001 :)

Unfortunately, my spouse was away on a business trip from 8th Jan 2016 for 4 months (till 1st May 2016) and she suffered a loss in her family later that year. Her overall absence for the last 3 years is 329days

In case we apply on 2nd May 2019, will the absence from the UK be calculated from 1st May 2016 (i.e. 329 - 113 = 216 days) or do we need to wait longer before applying for her naturalisation?

Thanks again for all your help :-)

NaturalBrit
Newly Registered

Post by NaturalBrit » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 am

NaturalBrit wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:02 pm
Thanks again CR001 :)

Unfortunately, my spouse was away on a business trip from 8th Jan 2016 for 4 months (till 1st May 2016) and she suffered a loss in her family later that year. Her overall absence for the last 3 years is 329days

In case we apply on 2nd May 2019, will the absence from the UK be calculated from 1st May 2016 (i.e. 329 - 113 = 216 days) or do we need to wait longer before applying for her naturalisation?

Thanks again for all your help :-)

Please can anyone confirm whether the absence from UK for the 3 year spouse application be calculated from the day of application submission?

Thanks again :-)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:52 am

Yes, 3 years counting backwards from date of online application submission and payment. Note the applicant must have also been physically present in the UK exactly 3 years ago too, i.e. the start of the qualifying period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am

Absences are calculated for the three years working back from the application date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.