ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jobseekers' Benefit - Change in circumstances while naturalisation request is ongoing

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Italian_guy
Newly Registered
Italy

Jobseekers' Benefit - Change in circumstances while naturalisation request is ongoing

Post by Italian_guy » Wed May 01, 2019 3:03 pm

My naturalisation request is pending reply, and I am now considering applying for Jobseeker's benefit.

In my naturalisation demand I stated I never claimed any benefit in the last 7 years, and luckily I never had to.

In case now I claim benefit would this affect my Naturalisation request? Should I communicate any change in such circumstances?

Obie
Ireland

Re: Jobseekers' Benefit - Change in circumstances while naturalisation request is ongoing

Post by Obie » Fri May 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Benefits usually affect naturalization, but if a claim was made after the application, I am not sure if it will impact on your application.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Jobseekers' Benefit - Change in circumstances while naturalisation request is ongoing

Post by littlerr » Fri May 31, 2019 11:27 pm

I think you are obliged to report on any change in your personal circumstances.

However, just to point out the difference between Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance. Any person who has paid enough PRSI is entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit, while the Jobseeker's Allowance is the "benefit" that may have an adverse effect to your naturalisation.

Jobseeker's Benefit is a PRSI benefit. That means, when you were working, you pay your social insurances, in case anything happens to you. If you are out of job, and you have paid enough PRSI, you can get Jobseeker's Benefit. Essentially you pay insurance to cover yourself.

On the contrary, if you are not eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit (i.e. you didn't work long enough to pay sufficient PRSI), you might be able to get Jobseeker's Allowance, subject to other criteria. This is a means-tested benefit, meaning that your earning is below a certain level, so that the government has to give you money to keep you alive.

So claiming Jobseeker's Benefit shouldn't cause any major issue, although as I mentioned you should still report this to the Citizenship department. They may want to check back to see if you get employed again in a few months, or will you be out of the Jobseeker's Benefit soon and will have to claim the Jobseeker's Allowance.

born2live
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by born2live » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:42 pm

How long are you in the citizenship application process ?

If your queue is near the end they may have done background checks (SW, Garda, etc.) already, so you should be relatively safe. If you've only recently applied they will find out regardless whether you inform them or not as they will do background SW check. They are strict with that now.

Reliance on SW affects the decision, not sure though, as littlerr stated if this is JB (benefit) which you are automatically entitled to based on PRSI stamps, they might wave that (don't take my words on it), but JA (allowance) definitely would be a problem. JB period depends on the amount of PRSI contribution, more paid, longer period. But if you are financially stuck, it is ur right to get the SW benefit to make ends meet, but try not to rely on it for long time, e.g. more than 6 months (providing if you've only applied) until you get a job again.

In my friends case they've requested updated 3 last months bank statements just before the decision was made.

Good luck...