ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born in the UK or Thailand?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TeacherLuke
Newly Registered
Mood:

Baby born in the UK or Thailand?

Post by TeacherLuke » Tue May 07, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi guys/girls

I've a complicated situation whereby me and my wife discovered we are having a baby in January 2020. I would like to know wether it impacts on us living in the UK if the child is born in the UK or Thailand?

Secondly, our long term future will be in the UK. I am currently a primary school teacher who meets the salary criteria and my wife has a first class degree in teaching English. If the baby is born in Thailand (where my wife has family etc around her) how long would it take to move to the UK and is it the family visa that would be needed? My wife has visited many times on a tourist visa but fear that the family visa may be a little more challenging.

Thank you for any help.

Luke and Bim

zimba
Mood:

Re: Baby born in the UK or Thailand?

Post by zimba » Tue May 07, 2019 11:30 pm

If you are a British citizen, then you child will be British at birth regardless of where the baby is born and can get British passport.
If you are not a British citizen (or you are not becoming one until 2020), then having a baby born outside the UK means that child have to follow the immigration path of the less privileged parent. In this case, being born in the UK is advantages as the child born here will have an entitlement to register as British citizen whenever one parent becomes settled or if is already settled in the UK.
Your wife will need a family visa to move to the UK regardless.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 pm

If you are British otherwise than by descent (eg born or naturalised in the UK), then your baby would automatically be British. If born in Thailand, then baby would be British by descent. If born in the UK, then baby would be British otherwise by descent. If the former, then baby cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to your grand children when they are born outside the UK. However, they may be entitled to register.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

TeacherLuke
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by TeacherLuke » Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.

One option is move to Thailand for the short future and return to the UK in September 2020 for the start of the new academic year in England.

Currently I meet the financial criteria to bring my wife here but after a year in Thailand this would not be the case. Could I ask if there are alternative means in which to meet the amount? As a qualified teacher I wouldn't struggle once I have a job but my salary would be much smaller whilst away with mother and baby.

Many thanks

Luke

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon May 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Have at least £62,500 in savings