ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to US while citizenship application is in process for a Minor

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sonalani
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Travelling to US while citizenship application is in process for a Minor

Post by Sonalani » Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi All,
I appreciate this question has been answered several times on this forum, but my query is more specific to the application for a minor (4-year-old) who will not actually have any naturalization process.

So basically, I made an application for my 4-year-old daughter for British Citizenship using the new UKVCAS service. She was born in the UK.
The application was made on 27th March 2019 and it is now about 2 months.

We intend to travel to the USA for 10 days at the end of June 2019. We have requested for her original Indian Passport to be returned which we will have in the next 10 working days.
I can then apply for US visa for her and will get that in 5 working days, so we should be good to travel by the end of June - provided she is still Indian.
(Her Indian Passport & ILR are valid well beyond our visit)

My question is,
- Would it be safe for my daughter to travel with a valid Indian passport & ILR, while her citizenship application is being processed?
- What if her application is successful while we are still overseas?
- Does she immediately become a British citizen?
- Will it automatically cancel her Indian citizenship?
- Is there a possibility that she will be stopped at the airport because she has been accepted as a British citizen while we have not received the British passport or surrendered Indian passport?
- How does it work, when she does not have to attend a Naturalization ceremony?

I called the UKBA helpline and have had different answers
1. Stating there should be no problem as long as your travel document is Indian and is still valid during your travel. When you are back you can continue the process of Citizenship/ British Passport / Surrender of Indian Passport

2. Stating it could be risky as your Indian Passport will be invalid the moment you become a British citizen, so it is advised not to travel during the six months of application processing.

Please, can someone help with some guidance, preferably referring to some documentation on the GOV.UK website or some dependable source?

Also more than happy if someone can provide a contact number or email address for correspondence, so I can actually speak to someone and be assured before the travel.

Your quick responses will be much appreciated.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling to US while citizenship application is in process for a Minor

Post by bookerw100 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Sonalani wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm
Hi All,
I appreciate this question has been answered several times on this forum, but my query is more specific to the application for a minor (4-year-old) who will not actually have any naturalization process.

So basically, I made an application for my 4-year-old daughter for British Citizenship using the new UKVCAS service. She was born in the UK.

We intend to travel to the USA for 10 days at the end of June 2019. We have requested for her original Indian Passport to be returned which we will have in the next 10 working days. If you applied using new service, you should not have needed to hand in your passport.
I can then apply for US visa for her and will get that in 5 working days, so we should be good to travel by the end of June - provided she is still Indian.

My question is,
- Would it be safe for my daughter to travel with a valid Indian passport & ILR, while her citizenship application is being processed? Yes I did
- Does she immediately become a British citizen? for adults, one doesn't become citizen until you have attended the ceremony, you are british only after that but for kids am not so sure.
- Will it automatically cancel her Indian citizenship? No you have to apply for what is called surrender of passport.
- Is there a possibility that she will be stopped at the airport because she has been accepted as a British citizen while we have not received the British passport or surrendered Indian passport? Highly doubt she will be stopped, if she has leave to enter

1. Stating there should be no problem as long as your travel document is Indian and is still valid during your travel. When you are back you can continue the process of Citizenship/ British Passport / Surrender of Indian Passport

2. Stating it could be risky as your Indian Passport will be invalid the moment you become a British citizen, so it is advised not to travel during the six months of application processing. No that definitely isn't true. I travelled on my Indian passport after being granted approval on citizenship but before attending the ceremony.

Please, can someone help with some guidance, preferably referring to some documentation on the GOV.UK website or some dependable source?

Also more than happy if someone can provide a contact number or email address for correspondence, so I can actually speak to someone and be assured before the travel.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

She is a British citizen from the date listed on her Registration Certificate if her application is approved.
- Is there a possibility that she will be stopped at the airport because she has been accepted as a British citizen while we have not received the British passport or surrendered Indian passport?
No. You are overthinking. UK Border Agency will only want to see a valid passport and ILR or visa. HO has nothing to do with the validity of Indian passports.
You simply get the Registration certificate in the post.
2. Stating it could be risky as your Indian Passport will be invalid the moment you become a British citizen, so it is advised not to travel during the six months of application processing.
It has nothing to do with Home Office, they do not have the authority to cancel a foreign passport. It is entirely an Indian authority/passport authority issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sonalani
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Sonalani » Thu May 16, 2019 3:11 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 pm
Sonalani wrote:
Hi All,

We intend to travel to the USA for 10 days at the end of June 2019. We have requested for her original Indian Passport to be returned which we will have in the next 10 working days. If you applied using new service, you should not have needed to hand in your passport.

My question is,
- Would it be safe for my daughter to travel with a valid Indian passport & ILR, while her citizenship application is being processed? Yes I did
- Does she immediately become a British citizen? for adults, one doesn't become citizen until you have attended the ceremony, you are british only after that but for kids am not so sure.
- Will it automatically cancel her Indian citizenship? No you have to apply for what is called surrender of passport.
- Is there a possibility that she will be stopped at the airport because she has been accepted as a British citizen while we have not received the British passport or surrendered Indian passport? Highly doubt she will be stopped, if she has leave to enter

2. Stating it could be risky as your Indian Passport will be invalid the moment you become a British citizen, so it is advised not to travel during the six months of application processing. No that definitely isn't true. I travelled on my Indian passport after being granted approval on citizenship but before attending the ceremony.

Thank you for your prompt and very detailed response, much appreciated!
I tried UKBA helpline again and have been told to contact Immigration advisors as they are not sure if Indian citizenship stands canceled as soon as nationality certificate is issued - mainly because India does not support dual citizenship.

May I ask you, when did you travel this year? I am getting mixed responses and really don't feel it is worth canceling the 10 day travel in the fear of this happening which is but a meek estimation. I hope you see what I mean.

Thanks again -
Sonal

Sonalani
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Sonalani » Thu May 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments on this, really appreciated.
CR001 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm
She is a British citizen from the date listed on her Registration Certificate if her application is approved.
I am just scared that if this date falls between the dates when we are in the USA, will that cause an issue! I suppose not because we will not be in possession of the certificate or the passport at that time - what do you think?
No. You are overthinking. UK Border Agency will only want to see a valid passport and ILR or visa. HO has nothing to do with the validity of Indian passports.
This makes me feel so much better! Are you able to confirm this meaning if asked at the entry, I can possibly show them a link to the document or prove this?
I really appreciate your response just want to make sure we are absolutely sure.. hope you understand where I am coming from.
You simply get the Registration certificate in the post.
It has nothing to do with Home Office, they do not have the authority to cancel a foreign passport. It is entirely an Indian authority/passport authority issue.

This makes complete sense!
Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Sonal

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Sonalani wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:11 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 pm
Sonalani wrote:
Thank you for your prompt and very detailed response, much appreciated!
I tried UKBA helpline again and have been told to contact Immigration advisors as they are not sure if Indian citizenship stands canceled as soon as nationality certificate is issued - mainly because India does not support dual citizenship.

May I ask you, when did you travel this year? I am getting mixed responses and really don't feel it is worth canceling the 10 day travel in the fear of this happening which is but a meek estimation. I hope you see what I mean.

Thanks again -
Sonal
I travelled end of Feb this year, got my citizenship approved start of Feb. Ceremony was in March.
I think you are overthinking it. UK authorities have no jurisdiction on your Indian passport. Nothing gets cancelled automatically. I actually went today to surrender my Indian passport.

Sonalani
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Sonalani » Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 am

I travelled end of Feb this year, got my citizenship approved start of Feb. Ceremony was in March.
I think you are overthinking it. UK authorities have no jurisdiction on your Indian passport. Nothing gets cancelled automatically. I actually went today to surrender my Indian passport.
Cool - thanks that is very helpful. I totally appreciate your response and thanks to this forum you are a great platform!