ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA resident card or Pre Settled

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uncle123
Newly Registered
Spain

EEA resident card or Pre Settled

Post by uncle123 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 am

Hello everyone! I have got something to ask as I am slightly confused.
I am a Spanish passport holder, living in the UK for about a year. (Originally from Ecuador, but lived in Spain previously for a long time and obtained Spanish passport.)
I am working in the UK paying my taxes, so I practice my treaty rights.
My wife and my two children arrived from Ecuador about a month ago, they were given a 6 month visa to the UK as family members of a European national.
I am not sure what I should be doing now, some people told me to do the EU route, applying for a 5 year EEA residence card for them, but then what happens if the UK leaves the EU, it will not be valid anymore.
Others say I should apply for Pre-settled status for myself and the wife and children as well. I know it is free and pretty fast apparently, but not sure if this is a possibility. If it is then would we all get pre-settled status for 5 years, then settled after the 5 years completed?
It would be great to hear from you experts on this forum! All the best

kamoe

Re: EEA resident card or Pre Settled

Post by kamoe » Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

uncle123 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 am
I am not sure what I should be doing now
The decision is up to you. Both EU route and Settled Status are options whith pros and cons. You can take a look at a recent post that aims to summarize all facts so that people can make informed decisions about the option that best addresses their own individual needs. Keep in mid you can always apply to both (first to the EU route then to Settled Status).
some people told me to do the EU route, applying for a 5 year EEA residence card for them, but then what happens if the UK leaves the EU, it will not be valid anymore.
It wil be valid until December 31st 2020, so still a good 18 months.
Others say I should apply for Pre-settled status for myself and the wife and children as well. I know it is free and pretty fast apparently, but not sure if this is a possibility.
Yes, this is another posibility. Again, check the post I linked above so you take into account all facts.
If it is then would we all get pre-settled status for 5 years,
You will all get Pre-Settled status if you have not yet completed 5 years in the UK. Applications are individual, each person has to submit a separate application. But you can link your family member's application to yours (there is a space in the form to put your application number when filling in theirs).
then settled after the 5 years completed?
Once you complete 5 years you can apply again to get Settled status. Again, individual for each person.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.