ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

‘family of a settled person’ visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

George9292
Newly Registered

How can I bring my Mexican girlfriend here.

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello I am wanting to bring my girlfriend here to work and live. She is from Mexico and I can't find anything on the .Gov site on what I need I looked at the work permit and its says she needs a employer?

If I sponsor her how would that work. Will she be will be able to work after a year or two?

Any help please thanks.

Casa

Re: How can I bring my Mexican girlfriend here.

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2019 2:52 pm

George9292 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Hello I am wanting to bring my girlfriend here to work and live. She is from Mexico and I can't find anything on the .Gov site on what I need I looked at the work permit and its says she needs a employer?

If I sponsor her how would that work. Will she be will be able to work after a year or two?

Any help please thanks.
There is no boyfriend/girlfriend sponsored visa. Assuming you have no plans to marry, her only option will be to qualify for a Points Based Sponsored (PBS) work or study visa.
For a Tier 2 work visa your girlfriend will require professional skills and an offer of employment from a Home Office approved Sponsor. If she is successful, it would take 5 years to qualify for settlement,
A student visa again needs an offer of sponsorship from a Home Office approved education provider (University etc) and the study fees will be in excess of £10,000 per year. A Tier 4 Student visa doesn't lead to permanent residence and work would be limited to 20 hours per week.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

George9292
Newly Registered

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:00 pm

Isn't there a way I can sponsor her?

George9292
Newly Registered

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 pm

What if I was to marry her how do I go about that.

George9292
Newly Registered

‘family of a settled person’ visa?

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:27 pm

Can I apply for this Visa to bring my girlfriend from Mexico over to live. And do write it on her behalf with her permission

secret.simon

Re: ‘family of a settled person’ visa?

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 18, 2019 4:07 pm

No, because she is not family. In order to bring her here, she would either need to have lived with you in a relationship akin to marriage (evidenced by joint financial commitments, such a joint bills, bank statements, etc) for at least two years OR be married to you.

There is no boyfriend/girlfriend visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2019 4:09 pm

George9292 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 pm
What if I was to marry her how do I go about that.
Please keep all questions in this thread.

In order to sponsor your girlfriend as a family member of a settled person, you would first need to marry either outside of the UK and then apply for a Spouse Settlement visa, or apply for a fiance visa and marry within 6 months of arrival in the UK. A fiance visa would require two visa applications and therefore two visa fees as after marrying in the UK your wife would then have to apply for a Spouse visa in order to remain in the UK.
Do you earn a minimum of £18,600 p.a or without earnings have savings above £62,500 which have been held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months :?:

Have you met in person or is this a long-distance online relationship ?

Edit: beaten by secret.simon
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

George9292
Newly Registered

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:12 pm

We are both 26 years old and both work I have a council flat

And we have met in person

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2019 4:22 pm

If you choose to marry in Mexico the visa fee is currently £1,523 (USD 2076) + £1,200 NHS Immigration Surcharge.
You will need a letter from the Council giving permission for your wife to live in the accommodation.

Only your earnings will qualify to meet the £18,600 income level.
(Casa, not CR001)

George9292
Newly Registered

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Interesting, is there another way since Mexicans can visit England for up to 3 to 6 months Visa free. Getting the ball rolling that way.?

George9292
Newly Registered

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:42 pm

How does the fiance Visa work?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2019 5:07 pm

George9292 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:36 pm
Interesting, is there another way since Mexicans can visit England for up to 3 to 6 months Visa free. Getting the ball rolling that way.?
No as:
1. It's not permitted to marry in the UK while here as a visitor
2. It's not possible to apply for any other category of visa while in the UK as a visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2019 5:09 pm

George9292 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:42 pm
How does the fiance Visa work?
The process has already been explained earlier in this thread. See information in the link below:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
(Casa, not CR001)

George9292
Newly Registered

Post by George9292 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 pm

So we I'll have to marry in Mexico then I'll marry in England?

And I meant aswell as they can come here Visa free we can apply for the work permit that way?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 18, 2019 5:26 pm

George9292 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 pm
So we I'll have to marry in Mexico then I'll marry in England? No! You EITHER marry in Mexico and apply for a spouse entry visa (settlement) OR apply for a fiance visa and marry in the UK. You can't marry twice :!:

And I meant aswell as they can come here Visa free we can apply for the work permit that way?
No! As has already been explained it's not permitted to apply for any visa category (including a work permit) while in the UK as a visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 am

The best option is for you to pack your bags and go and live in Mexico because you have not got a hope of getting a visa for her to get into the UK to live and work. Please stop thinking that once she gets to the UK on a tourist visa she can apply for for another type of visa - she can’t.

You are not getting your head around the basics - you have two methods of entry to the UK that allows living and working.
One is through either / or fiancé or spouse visa. As explained in the threads above.
Or
A work visa sponsored by an employer in the UK. Unless she is a highly skilled worker or is in a shortage occupation that is a non-starter. Then there is the matter of finding a sponsor to offer her a job.

One question you have not answered - do you earn more than £18,600 - if that is a no then the fiancé / spouse option is a non-starter too.

How long have you known your girlfriend and how did you meet? These are important questions because even if you were to consider marrying there is not guarantee that a visa would be granted if they think it is a marriage of convenience.