ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inked ILR Stamp on old passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

miranda108
Newly Registered

Inked ILR Stamp on old passport

Post by miranda108 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am

Dear All,
Many years ago the Immigration officer at Heathrow Airport put an INKED ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) Stamp on my then current passport, and told me there was no need for me to carry my old passport whenever I travelled overseas (the old passport had the original PAPER stamp granting me ILR from the Home Office).

But I have always carried both the passports (the older one with the paper stamp as well as the later one with the inked stamp, just in case).

Now both of these passports lapsed some years ago, and I have a NEW passport from my home country.

Recently I lost the original passport (which had the paper stamp) - I think it got mislaid when we were travelling somewhere.

My question is : Is my second passport with the INKED stamp still valid for me to travel with (along with my current passport)?

I would not have this doubt normally, but I heard that the inked stamps were phased out some years ago.

Does anyone know WHICH YEAR the Home Office stopped issuing these inked stamps at Heathrow Airport?

I have some friends in similar positions and they all say that they have been travelling with the old inked stamp on their old passports.

So I'm guessing it's alright, but just want to double-check.

secret.simon

Re: Inked ILR Stamp on old passport

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 20, 2019 11:18 am

Better to err on the side of caution and apply for an NTL (No Time Limit) BRP transfer.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.