ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long did you have to wait to get a decision?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

How long did you have to wait to get a decision?

Post by Benzane » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I completed my application on 11/04/19 and sent my documents via sopra steria last week (16/05) as they did not have an earlier appointment nearby.

I know that HO states that it may take 6 months to get a response on your citizenship application, however I'm wondering what the real life experiences are?

Is there a difference between processing times when the applicant is from our outside the EU?

Thanks, Ben

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How long did you have to wait to get a decision?

Post by CR001 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:24 pm

however I'm wondering what the real life experiences are?
Usually 2 to 3 months. Keep an eye on the April timeline to get an idea.
Is there a difference between processing times when the applicant is from our outside the EU?
No. Each person, regardless of nationality, must meet the same requirements and checks etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Benzane wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm
Hi all,

I completed my application on 11/04/19 and sent my documents via sopra steria last week (16/05) as they did not have an earlier appointment nearby.

I know that HO states that it may take 6 months to get a response on your citizenship application, however I'm wondering what the real life experiences are?

Thanks, Ben
We've seen awards within 4 weeks, but also others after more than 6 months. Most are probably 2 - 4 months. There doesn't appear to be a clear pattern around why some applications take longer or shorter. Home Office are not transparent about it. My advice is to take the application off your mind, knowing that it could be up to 6 months, so if it comes sooner than that, it's a pleasant surprise.

Benzane
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by Benzane » Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks CR0001, what I meant is that the information HO checks may be more readily available when it comes to EU applicants. But tour response makes sense, thanks again.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Benzane wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm
Thanks CR0001, what I meant is that the information HO checks may be more readily available when it comes to EU applicants. But tour response makes sense, thanks again.
Home Office is not transparent about all the checks they make, and it doesn't appear that EU applicants are inherently any quicker than others. There are many Nigerian applications that are completed within a month for instance, whilst there are EU applications that take longer than 6 months.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed May 22, 2019 12:06 pm

The risk assessment applies to all. Some higher risk applications will be scrutinised more than others. This may not have anything to do with your nationality. Risk factors I can think of are things like making an asylum claim in the past, long absences from the UK, TOEIC English test history, having criminal history, travel history to countries at war or in conflict and history of long periods of overstaying and possibility of working illegally.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

smarioana91
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by smarioana91 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I am not sure what the procedure is, and whether they sort them by days of submission (all applications from say May 6th) or by centre (all applications from Birmingham) or a combination of both, but I tend to think it's the submission date, unless there are complications. I received my confirmation one day after someone in this forum who had submitted a day before me.

Anyway, I submitted on Feb 4, the letter was dated April 1st, and I received it on April 8th (a pigeon carrier would've been faster). So exactly 8 weeks.