ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony scheduling process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jkcool
Mood:
India

Citizenship ceremony scheduling process

Post by jkcool » Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm

I got my naturalisation application approved and received the letter from Home office. It was mentioned on the letter that I need to call City Council to schedule it. When I called them yesterday, they told me that council will automatically schedule the ceremony. Today afternoon, I got a letter from council which mentioned that my ceremony is in the first week of July. Is it normal to have ceremony 45 days after approval ?

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Re: Citizenship ceremony scheduling process

Post by hamalt66 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 pm

jkcool wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm
I got my naturalisation application approved and received the letter from Home office. It was mentioned on the letter that I need to call City Council to schedule it. When I called them yesterday, they told me that council will automatically schedule the ceremony. Today afternoon, I got a letter from council which mentioned that my ceremony is in the first week of July. Is it normal to have ceremony 45 days after approval ?
Can you not ask for a private ceremony? It's not free as I understand but much quicker.

yahyaa
Mood:

Post by yahyaa » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 am

jkcool wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 pm
It varies Council to Council depending on their availability. You can go for 'private ceremony' but it will cost you extra (again the amount varies). Call your Council and they would be able to tell you how much and whether it would be any sooner if you want to do it privately. When I booked my ceremony the date I was given was three weeks after but then for a £80 fee I am going to do it privately and one week earlier than the date I was given originally for a group ceremony.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Wed May 22, 2019 3:55 am

Some councils either don't hold ceremonies that often (because of demand) or ceremonies are overbooked, meaning yours is even later. How quickly you can have a private ceremony also depends on availability. My council can often do ceremonies within 48 hours, but Westminster for instance once told me their next availability was more than a month away.

jkcool
Mood:
India

Post by jkcool » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am

Along with my application, I sent my daughter's British citizenship registration application. It is also approved. can I book a private ceremony to do mine and collect my daughter's registration certificate ?

Do I have pay for collecting my daughter's as well ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:41 am

Yes you can.

No you don't pay to collect your daughters cert!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 am

can one change the council after approval of naturalisation, to a council that might offer a nearer ceremony, or is it not possible?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:26 am

hamalt66 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 am
can one change the council after approval of naturalisation, to a council that might offer a nearer ceremony, or is it not possible?
Not so easy. You have to notify HO. Council then has to send your cert back to HO who then sends it on to another council. It can take a few weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 am

The wait in Cambridge for a public ceremony was over 60 days when I applied. So 45 days seems to still be pretty good...

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 pm

hamalt66 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 am
Yes. I was told to expect a change to take up to 6 weeks (can't say if that was accurate, or they were just looking to discourage the change). You'll need to contact Home Office, who will then request the certificate from the current council if they've sent it out already, and then forward it to the new council and then send you a new invitation letter.

If you've not received a decision yet, it may be much quicker, and they can get back to you within a couple of weeks confirming that the LA in your application has been changed to the new one.

jkcool
Mood:
India

Post by jkcool » Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Thank you CR001 and others for the replies.

I called them up and got it scheduled a month earlier. It costed me £112 for a Monday - Thursday appointment. For Friday and Saturday, it was £153.