ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my mother use the NHS?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

okigen68
Vietnam

Can my mother use the NHS?

Post by okigen68 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi all,

My mother is very stressed lately due to loneliness (she raised me on her own and I'm an only child), so I want to invite her to live with me for 6 months. But I'm worried that her asthma may act up when she is here and we can't afford private healthcare. Her travel insurance won't cover existing disease. Is there any way for her to use the NHS?
She has been here a few times, no immigration issues. I am non-EEA and have an ILR.

We are considering applying for a long term visitor visa but I think it doesn't allow NHS use either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Can my mother use the NHS?

Post by seagul » Fri May 31, 2019 6:18 pm

No she won't be entitled for NHS. Read in detail here:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... n-england/
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

MrunalUK
Newly Registered
India

Post by MrunalUK » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:01 am

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:51 am

Note that a repeated pattern of residing in the UK for six months at a time will likely get her visa cancelled/curtailed and a long-term ban. The idea of a visit visa is to visit, not reside.

So, be cautious about the lengths and frequencies of her visits.
MrunalUK wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:01 am
Emergency treatment is free
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... -area-eea/
Correct.

But also note:
accident and emergency services – not including emergency treatment if admitted to hospital
So visits to A&E are free, but if they decide they you need admission to the hospital for a longer stay, that is not free, but will be charged at 150% cost.

And information on failure to pay will be passed onto the Home Office, which may cancel/curtail the visa.
Department of Health guidance on implementing the overseas visitor charging regulations wrote:NHS bodies (or debt collection agencies working on their behalf) can share non-clinical data with the Home Office, via the Department of Health and Social Care, on chargeable non-EEA patients, providing they meet set criteria, with a view to better collect debts owed. The Home Office can then use that data to deny any future immigration application to enter or remain in the UK that the person with the debt might make.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:41 am

okigen68 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:30 pm
We are considering applying for a long term visitor visa but I think it doesn't allow NHS use either.

She can use the NHS, but will have to pay. Even a visiting Britisn citizen has to pay the NHS when they use it.

"The measure of residence that the UK uses to determine entitlement to free NHS healthcare is known as ‘ordinary residence’. This requires non-EEA nationals subject to immigration control to also have the immigration status of indefinite leave to remain."

The NHS can ask for payment before any treatment. 50% will be added to her bill if she does not have insurance to pay.

MrunalUK wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:01 am
Emergency treatment is free
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... -area-eea/
Present rules for NHS England (a consultancy was run to end this free treatment at A&E in England and taxpayers were in favour of that).

"GP and nurse consultations in primary care, treatment provided by a GP and other primary care services are free of charge to all, whether registering as an NHS patient, or as a temporary patient, which is when the patient is in the area for more than 24 hours and less than 3 months."

and

"accident and emergency services, including all A&E services provided at an NHS hospital, for example, those provided at an A&E department, walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre. This does not include those emergency services provided after being admitted as an inpatient, or at a follow-up outpatient appointment, for which charges must be levied unless the overseas visitor is exempt from charge in their own right"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitle ... alth-guide

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:48 pm

I think a lot ILR holder/British citizens who are working and paying taxes are misconceiving that due to their settled status & taxes their family members are freely eligible for NHS treatment.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.