ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Personal Vacation / Paid Leave / NOT work-related - Do I need an a letter from previous employer for this?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amamh3
Newly Registered
Mood:
Egypt

Personal Vacation / Paid Leave / NOT work-related - Do I need an a letter from previous employer for this?

Post by amamh3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Summary:

I never left the UK for a work-related reason. It was ALWAYS a personal holiday ON PAID LEAVE. Do I need a letter from my previous employer confirming that I was employed by them during those times and that those absences were related to my employment (it wasn't related to my employment, obviously)?

This is very confusing to me because the requirements are not clear and I know people who applied without this letter. I'm talking about the case specifically when I only took personal holidays/vacation to travel outside the country. I did NOT travel for any work-related purposes, it was only personal vacation.

Quoting government page:

"A letter from the employer detailing the purpose and period of absences in connection with the employment, including periods of annual leave. Where the absence was due to a serious or compelling reason, a personal letter from the applicant which includes full details of the reason for the absences and all supporting documents in relation to those reasons - e.g. medical certificates, birth/death certificates, information about the reasons which led to the absence from the UK."

Also from the online application:

Why on Earth is it phrased like that... you can't tell if they mean only in connection with the employment or any kind of vacation on paid leave.

I also know people personally who claim they applied successfully without this letter (because they only had personal vacation on paid leave).

And if I DON'T need that letter, what should I select for the following question:

PSA: Of course I know about the 180 rule, this question isn't about that.

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Re: Personal Vacation / Paid Leave / NOT work-related - Do I need an a letter from previous employer for this?

Post by moonlight55 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm

As I understand, it means any paid annual leave you would have taken during your employment. It's a confirmation from employer that you were still employed with them during your travel outside UK.

amamh3
Newly Registered
Mood:
Egypt

Re: Personal Vacation / Paid Leave / NOT work-related - Do I need an a letter from previous employer for this?

Post by amamh3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Is this based on your experience or interpretation of the text?

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Post by moonlight55 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 am

I did it for me. The letter expects the dates you traveled outside UK (both for work as well as on leave). Check this sticky thread for example:
indefinite-leave-to-remain/employer-let ... 52143.html

You may know cases where folks have got it without the letter, but you need to take a call if it's work risking the amount that you pay. If its possible to get such a letter, I would recommend to get it.