ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Correction of Naturalisation Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Naveed997

Missing DASH- in LAST name on approval letter

Post by Naveed997 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Dear respected Gurus,

Thanks in advance for the help and correct information from your side.
i am getting help from this platform for the last 5 years.

if you can reply to me i will be very thankful to you all.

My wife has received her naturalization approval on Friday, but we have notice that there is a small mistake or just a error on her last name . For example my wife's full name is with dash- in her last name ( as a example her full name is Tina Jamsen-Iqbal but home office has mentioned her name with out dash- Tina Jamsen Iqbal) we did scan her Eu passport along with the application form which is clearly showing her name with Dash- . I don't know what to do ? shall we go for ceremony and then contact with home office or its just a normal thing because the rest of the spellings are same its just a missing dash in her last name.

one more thing we have just notice that even on her PR her name was without Dash- , i have checked on her PR application form and naturalization form we did mentioned her name with Dash-

Your time and cooperation will be greatly appreciated .

Nerazzuri

Re: Missing DASH- in LAST name on approval letter

Post by Nerazzuri » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 pm

The letter would have said you should attend the ceremony. After the ceremony, contact Home Office to have the error amended.

Naveed997

Post by Naveed997 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:43 pm

thanks for your reply ,

Basically my question was , a missing dash- in last name can really create a problem in future ?

If we ask home office to correct the certificate of naturalization after the ceremony then what is the procedure ? what documents do we have to send how long does it take and do we have to pay any fee ?

my wife is planing to go to her home country in EU for a good 2 months to spend full summer there and planing to go there in last week of June ? what is the best option for us i think we are short of time because we can attend the private ceremony in this week but asking home office for correction will take long time and i think she won't be able to abstain her British passport in June ?
Any good advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ?

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 am

I've got exactly the same problem with a missing dash in the surname and I am trying to resolve it now. In fact, months ago I just ignored the missing dash in the PR document.

I was hoping the passport office will just put the dash in the British passport and take the citizenship certificate as same. If you are in hurry, I guess you can try that. I am not sure if this will cause extra money or just delay. The hassle itself might also make this not worth it. There is no requirement to get a British passport for any citizen ever, so there is no rush unless you need it. People who don't travel don't get them as they are just extra money and hassle. You must attend ceremony within 3 months of application approval, but that's separate.

Here is what I've tried so far - long. I don't have a solution or an informed opinion yet, I am afraid. However, I am not in a great hurry to get a British passport yet as an EU passport gives most rights here until at least October. You may, of course, need it sooner. If you get any insights or different experiences, it will help me in the short term and others in the long if you post here.

As mentioned instructions say to attend ceremony, then ask to change name certificate, presumably because the council already has the physical certificate. This will, of course, delay when you can apply for a passport, although you are a citizen from the date of the ceremony.

I called passport office twice. They both said both foreign passport and British passport must have exactly the same name. However, the second person started with saying that don't allow dashes in the names, but then backtracked on that. British passport policy apparently allows dash, apostrophe and space, but no other punctuation or digraphs (previous embassies have been issuing these). Google, however, finds a reference to a help page that is no longer accessible, that says that dashes are not allowed. My guess is there is some inconsistency in the passport policy and home office document issuing have picked up on that.

I also called the home office. They advised to email citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk to request a change to the invitation letter, which I did but no reply yet. They didn't mention the certificate, which I assume is already issued. I am guessing the person on the phone was not that informed on these intricacies, but I was hoping the answer to the email will be better. I don't have high hopes, though, as emails can be quite automatic answering a part of the original question (generally to anybody).

There was a post here from a couple of years for a dash between first name and surname, but this seems quite different (although the mess probably has the same cause).

Finally I looked at the barcode at the bottom of the passport. There is no dash there. The encoding is the same as a space '<' ("<<" is the delimiter between surname and other names). I am guessing a software problem connected to this is causing the issue.

British born also have dashes in the surname quite often, so I was expecting more experiences on this.

Naveed997

Post by Naveed997 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks for your reply in detail.

i think we will get the certificate first and then we will send the request to home office to add the dash- on last name .

Is there anyone can explain the whole procedure and what documents do we need to send the request to home office.

Thanks.

Naveed997

Correction of Naturalisation Certificate

Post by Naveed997 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:03 am

Respected all,

After receiving the naturalisation certificate last week ,i have filled and submitted the request form RR along with the copy of my wife's current passport to the home office , Asking for the correction about her last name on the Naturalization certificate .

i have few questions if someone can answer please .

how long will it take to get the new certificate?

will the home office do the all checks again from the begin like a new application?

is there anything we have to worry about ?

Thanks a lot.

alexbran89
Romania

Re: Correction of Naturalisation Certificate

Post by alexbran89 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am

I had to send mine also as they’ve added an extra letter to by place of birth lol
I’ve used the special delivery guaranteed by 1pm, checked the tracking service and been received on Monday morning however I don’t know ho long it takes for them to reissue and send me another certificate.

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi, I had to send back my daughter's few months ago and took 4 and a half weeks to get it back.

Naveed997

Post by Naveed997 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 pm

@ Alien2017 , Thanks for sharing your experience, i hope we will get our Certificates in few weeks . Could you please tell me how did you send the request ? sis you use the RR form ? and what proof had you submitted. Thanks.

@ alexbran89 : Hi i did submit my wife's on Thursday last week and they have received on Friday morning at 08:30, please keep me updated about the progress of your request and i will do the same .

Dear experts, please any suggestions are most welcome regarding our matter.

Thanks all.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 am

For future readers, probably not relevant to those posting at the moment:

I got a reply from citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk saying they can "consider changing" the naturalisation certificate and the ceremony invitation, but will have to recall the certificate from the council, which will delay the ceremony. They asked if I wanted to do that or go to the ceremony and then send them the certificate (the latter being mentioned in instruction and others' experiences).

I can't see any use for the recall option, but who knows.

They seem to have not considered the request at all. As I understand they have to recall the certificate before they even start looking into the details.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 am

vaza wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 am
For future readers, probably not relevant to those posting at the moment:

I got a reply from citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk saying they can "consider changing" the naturalisation certificate and the ceremony invitation, but will have to recall the certificate from the council, which will delay the ceremony. They asked if I wanted to do that or go to the ceremony and then send them the certificate (the latter being mentioned in instruction and others' experiences).

I can't see any use for the recall option, but who knows.

They seem to have not considered the request at all. As I understand they have to recall the certificate before they even start looking into the details.
How is your post relevant to this particular topic about an error in a certificate that needs to be sent back for correction???
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 am
How is your post relevant to this particular topic about an error in a certificate that needs to be sent back for correction???
My post refers to the original post of this thread, in particular
My wife has received her naturalization approval on Friday,
and also to my previous post on the same topic, which is about an error in the approval letter, not in the certificate.

I think the two are related, although not my choice, but if you consider the two topics unrelated, then I suggest you split the thread.

Naveed997

Post by Naveed997 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Hello Respected people,

Thanks in advance for all the help.

just a quick question . We have send the request to home office for the correction on Certificate of Naturalisation. Just wondering while we are waiting for a correct certificate my wife went to abroad for a summer holiday for 2 month is there any problem? or she is free to spend as much time she want to spend outside the UK?

Before you reply just want to let you know that she has received her certificate of naturalisation 2 weeks ago with an error on her last name which we have send back after attending the ceremony for the correction.

Regards,
Naveed

alexbran89
Romania

Post by alexbran89 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 pm

Naveed997 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 pm
@ Alien2017 , Thanks for sharing your experience, i hope we will get our Certificates in few weeks . Could you please tell me how did you send the request ? sis you use the RR form ? and what proof had you submitted. Thanks.

@ alexbran89 : Hi i did submit my wife's on Thursday last week and they have received on Friday morning at 08:30, please keep me updated about the progress of your request and i will do the same .

Dear experts, please any suggestions are most welcome regarding our matter.

Thanks all.

Just received my certificate back today, the process took 2 and half weeks, passport application for me next.

Naveed997

Post by Naveed997 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:55 am

Hi Thanks for the update congratulation.

Unfortunately, we are still waiting on the Certificate to come .

Could you please tell me if it was normal post or signed delivery .

And also have you revived any email from home office before you have received the certificate .

Yesterday, my wife has received the email from the home office about the Surveys.

UK VISA Immigration would like to ask your feedback in a short online survey. The aim of this survey in to find out how well we met your needs and how we can improve in future .???

But we are still waiting on the certificate so what needs they are talking about?

Any comments from all the gurus will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Naveed997

Post by Naveed997 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Halo Halo,
Just received the post and guess what was inside . THE CORRECT CERTIFICATE .....

Thanks for all of your ...

I will see you all very very soon. Now its time for me to prepare for my application .

God Bless you All.