ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will people who are granted pre-settled status now have to pay the full cost for ILR after June 2021?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ingaevone
Newly Registered

Will people who are granted pre-settled status now have to pay the full cost for ILR after June 2021?

Post by Ingaevone » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 am

The EU settlement scheme closes to new applications at the end of June 2021. Does that mean that if someone is granted pre-settled status now they will have to pay the full cost of Indefinite Leave to Remain once they reach 5 years residence in the UK as the date when this happens will be well past June 2021?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Will people who are granted pre-settled status now have to pay the full cost for ILR after June 2021?

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 am

"Settled Status" is a separate scheme for EEA citizens under UK law - you will not be switched over to "normal" ILR. After five years you will have gained full settled status.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mulder
Germany

Re: Will people who are granted pre-settled status now have to pay the full cost for ILR after June 2021?

Post by mulder » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 am
After five years you will have gained full settled status.
Could you please elaborate on how exactly it would happen?

And why would they then close it for new application?
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status wrote:The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

mulder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm
And why would they then close it for new application/?
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status wrote:The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
The Settlement Scheme would only apply to those who are already in the UK under EU law (i.e. the beneficiaries of the Settlement Scheme are meant to be limited to thos in the UK under the EEA Regulations). EU citizens arriving after Brexit (or end of freedom of movement) may be subject to different requirements. That is why it will close when Brexit comes into effect.
Ingaevone wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:46 am
The EU settlement scheme closes to new applications at the end of June 2021. Does that mean that if someone is granted pre-settled status now they will have to pay the full cost of Indefinite Leave to Remain once they reach 5 years residence in the UK as the date when this happens will be well past June 2021?
To the OP's original questions.

I think the answer depends on whether we exit with a deal or on a no-deal basis. The Deal protects people already in the UK under EU law and it is likely that the conditions of the Settlement Scheme will continue for those already under it. No Deal, by definition, gives no guarentees and it would be possible for the UK to increase the costs of the Settlement Scheme. That would depend on the political realities of the relationship between the UK government of the day and the EU.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.