ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in the UK whose parents were diplomats

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

milan69
Diamond Member

Child born in the UK whose parents were diplomats

Post by milan69 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Hello everyone.
Does a child born in the UK in 1988 whose parents at the time were diplomats in the UK from non EU country has right to British citizenship?

Thank you.
I am sometimes wrong.

secret.simon

Re: Child born in the UK whose parents were diplomats

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:28 pm

milan69 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Does a child born in the UK in 1988 whose parents at the time were diplomats in the UK from non EU country has right to British citizenship?
Generally no. Most ways to acquire citizenship by birth in the UK to non-British children close when they reach majority/their 18th birthday. They can of course naturalise in the usual way through a Tier 2 job, etc.

How long did the child live in the UK in the first ten years of their life?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Not more than first three years since he was born.
I am sometimes wrong.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:32 pm

milan69 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Not more than first three years since he was born.
Then there is no direct claim to British citizenship based on just being born in the UK. Had they lived in the UK for the first ten years of the child's life, they could have registered as a British citizen directly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:35 pm

So even though his parents had residence as diplomats in the UK at the time of his birth, he still does not have right to claim British citizenship on basis of being born in the UK while child's parents had status in the UK?
I am sometimes wrong.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Not unless one of the parents had ILR at the time of birth of the child, which is unlikely as a diplomat.

Remember that the point is not the parents having "status" (I presume that by that you mean legal residence), at least one parent needs to have held ILR in the UK before the the birth of the child for the child to benefit now.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Thank you for the clarification.
I am sometimes wrong.