ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Belfastbowler
Newly Registered

Spouse visa?

Post by Belfastbowler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 am

Hi Guys,

Here is my story!

I live in Belfast and have an Irish Passport. I also have a UK passport.

I am getting married to my girlfriend who is from Vietnam next year and was wondering what would be the better route to take to bring her back home? Would it be better coming through UK or Ireland immigration?
As in costs and length of time it will take?

Thanks

J

blastbass
Mood:
Germany

Re: Spouse visa?

Post by blastbass » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 am

Well depends.

You wanna get her to Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 am

If you live in Belfast, you apply to the UK Government.

The question is whether your spouse can apply under UK domestic law or under EU Treaty Rights. Apparently EU Treaty Rights are much easier and give your spouse more freedom in terms of visa-free travel to other EU countries.

As you are a dual national, you can only exercise your EU Treaty Rights if you only acquired UK citizenship recently, and you have been living in Belfast using your Irish passport only and have been exercising EU Treaty Rights (meaning you are working/studying/self-sufficient).

I merely recall UK is more expensive if you are applying under domestic law.

Belfastbowler
Newly Registered

Post by Belfastbowler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 am

I want to bring her to Northern Ireland.

I have been a UK citizen from birth and was not sure if having an Irish passport and bringing her through this way would be cheaper and quicker/

blastbass
Mood:
Germany

Post by blastbass » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

Also that's depending a lot on the Brexit outcome. As your plan of marriage is next year the situation will more then likely be different then.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am

Belfastbowler wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 am
I want to bring her to Northern Ireland.

I have been a UK citizen from birth and was not sure if having an Irish passport and bringing her through this way would be cheaper and quicker/
Well in this case you cannot use your Irish passport to exercise your EU Treaty Rights. The UK domestic law applies.

MonicaHam
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MonicaHam » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 am

Hi, I'm in a similar position so I'd like to ask- can he move to the Republic of Ireland and exercise his treaty rights there even though he is both an Irish and a UK citizen, as he has only ever lived and worked in the UK?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

MonicaHam wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 am
Hi, I'm in a similar position so I'd like to ask- can he move to the Republic of Ireland and exercise his treaty rights there even though he is both an Irish and a UK citizen, as he has only ever lived and worked in the UK?
No