ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Intent to Stay in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Arsenalfan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

Intent to Stay in the UK

Post by Arsenalfan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I wonder if some of you have had any experiences of applying for BC but have declared your intention to leave the UK for education/training purposes for a vocational career.

In their provisions they state the following:

"Living outside the UK after becoming a British citizen
Where an applicant makes clear that he or she intends to live in the UK for a period but then has plans to establish their principal home abroad in future, the application will be refused.

Where an applicant is abroad or about to go abroad for six months or more an application will normally be refused, other than where

the applicant is undertaking voluntary work such as with the Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
the applicant is undertaking studies, training or employment abroad which is necessary to pursue a UK-based profession, vocation or occupation"

I plan to apply for British citizenship as my own country will not allow dual nationality post Brexit. However I intend to study abroad for 3 years to qualify and work in a medical related field. However I would like to declare this on my form to be honest and open. This route is not a route open to me in the UK as things stand. But I wonder if anyone has had this same or similar issue and if so what were your experiences?

Nerazzuri

Re: Intent to Stay in the UK

Post by Nerazzuri » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 pm

If you've already made a decision to leave for 3 years, that adversely affects your application now. You'd need to either hold off your decision to embark on a 3 year course abroad, or explore how you can re-establish residency in the UK after your studies and meet the citizenship requirements at another point in the future (as being away for 3 years undoubtedly will impact on residency requirements).

Right now, nothing but yourself stops you from holding off on a decision on whether or not to go abroad to study until after you become a citizen ;-)