ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Naturalised Citizen applying for British Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mufc69

Irish Naturalised Citizen applying for British Citizenship?

Post by mufc69 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Hello, I am a dual British/Irish citizen, my wife is from the Philippines and has recently became a naturalised Irish citizen, she has been living in the UK (Northern Ireland) under EEA residence card for over 5 years, I would like to know can she apply for British citizenship right away or does her clock begin from the date she became an Irish citizen?

secret.simon

Re: Irish Naturalised Citizen applying for British Citizenship?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Her Irish citizenship has nothing to do with her British citizenship application.

She needs to have acquired PR or ILR under the Settled Status scheme and have either a DCPR (now that she is an Irish citizen) or Settled Status to make a British naturalisation application in the usual manner.

Provided she has either a DCPR or Settled Status, she can apply for British citizenship immediatly as the spouse of a British citizen, provided she was physically in the UK exactly three years prior to the date of the application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.