ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experience in multiple skills- rare case pls comment

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maheshrvce

Experience in multiple skills- rare case pls comment

Post by maheshrvce » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:08 am

Hi,

I am working in a multinational fortune 100 company in india. I have multiple skillsets, I have done driver programming, testing, C#, .Net one one side. On the other side I have parallely worked on project management methodologies. I have totally 4 years exp. I have a good knwoledge of each and every thing and hence have made 3 resumes. Now I am thinking if I start applying will there be a conflict if more than one resume reaches the same recruiter/company and both vacancies exist. I know this is a weird case. Guys pls comment ur help highly appreciated

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: Experience in multiple skills- rare case pls comment

Post by gotcha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:23 am

maheshrvce wrote:Hi,

I am working in a multinational fortune 100 company in india. I have multiple skillsets, I have done driver programming, testing, C#, .Net one one side. On the other side I have parallely worked on project management methodologies. I have totally 4 years exp. I have a good knwoledge of each and every thing and hence have made 3 resumes. Now I am thinking if I start applying will there be a conflict if more than one resume reaches the same recruiter/company and both vacancies exist. I know this is a weird case. Guys pls comment ur help highly appreciated
My suggestion is, choose a skillset, that you are most comfortable in, and highlight it in your CV. Nobody is going to buy your argument that you have good knowledge of each and every thing in 4 years.

junior

Post by junior » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:00 am

Employers in the UK are pretty fussy and rigid about the competency in core skill set and they in most of the instances demand the skill set should fit in well their bill of requirement end to end i.e. technology to domain know how.

I don't really see a point of floating multiple versions of CV in the job market. You cannot make them (prospective employers) buy this point that, in 4 years you are competent and fluent in all the mentioned skill sets....though, with no offence meant to your technical expertise....this is purely my opinion

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 am

gotcha wrote:

My suggestion is, choose a skillset, that you are most comfortable in, and highlight it in your CV. Nobody is going to buy your argument that you have good knowledge of each and every thing in 4 years.
Yeah, four years is noob level!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am

Wanderer wrote: Yeah, four years is noob level!
Yeah ! Certainly with these many skills.

maheshrvce

Post by maheshrvce » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi all thanks for your quick and valuable suggestions.

gotcha: I agree I may not be really good at all these but may be i may know to the extent the position requires. My only idea was to maximize the chances of getting calls/offers etc.

junior; exactly thats the reason i wantd to make different resumes with no relation with each other so that i highlight skills relevant to that technology/domain

wanderer; yup i am a kid and there is a long way to go

I would like to elaborate on my question.I have worked on software development using C and C++ on network protocols as well as on so many other protocols.Now I dont see a reason as to why I should not make 2 Cv's one for C, C++ opportunities and other for Network protocol ones.Now there is no question of me being better in any one of them if I have to be good it should be in both.Pls note I am thinking in perspective of the agent/recruiter who might/might not know abt all that I have done and might overlook my CV.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 am

maheshrvce wrote:I would like to elaborate on my question.I have worked on software development using C and C++ on network protocols as well as on so many other protocols.Now I dont see a reason as to why I should not make 2 Cv's one for C, C++ opportunities and other for Network protocol ones.Now there is no question of me being better in any one of them if I have to be good it should be in both.Pls note I am thinking in perspective of the agent/recruiter who might/might not know abt all that I have done and might overlook my CV.
In your original post you mentioned hell lots of technologies, like .net, languages like C#, and some project management. My reply was according to that. And I will repeat that, if you are worked on these many things in 4 years, you will be trated as newbie.

Again, you are the best decision maker. Choose what you think, can represent by you very well.

Post by 1971 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:58 pm

@You,

Make a simple and definitive CV highlighting your skillsets. IT is the only industry in the world that is same across the world. You dont need to make 2 CVs cos I certainly know the UK recruiter's market is very dynamic and everyone can see you Cv at every level.So be careful not to shoot yourself on the foot before even starting the job search.It's a search engine controlled job market.

cheers and wish you the best.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 pm

You make the perfect case of - JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE.

I'm not questioning ur skills but the HR guys don't usually buy this. They would simply think you as trying ur luck to get a job in all skills by simply bluffing.

My advise, choose your core strength and project that as ur Selling point. Once you land in to a job, then showcase ur skills to ur Manager & team. Then Sky is the limit buddy.

maheshrvce

Post by maheshrvce » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:10 am

hey guys,

Thanks a lot for keepin this discussion alive and making it fruitful to me.

1971: Thats a good piece of advice. I havent yet started loading my CV's on to any database but if I get an email iD of the recruiter I send it across and this way I have sent it to around 7 people and have attended 2 interviews - 1more in pipeline.

satish: yes I do understand but to brief u on my experience on the last interview I had ,I tried to project myself as a protocol stack, device drivers guy(as per the position reqt) and the person at the other end was looking for all skills under the sun namely- OS build, bluetooth, USB and what not. Probably he didnt know that a person whith 4 years experience could not have worked on all of them for a substantial amount of time

Guys further thoughts needed on this.