ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can international students publish a book in the UK?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

catgirllondon
Newly Registered
Korea South

Can international students publish a book in the UK?

Post by catgirllondon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask about it. It is summer holiday now so it is almost impossible to contact my international student office for these more complex issues.

I am an international student doing my PhD. I finished a novel previously and submitted to an agency WITHOUT telling them that I am an international student. Please note that I did not write for the purpose of generating profit, it was mainly a hobby of mine. However, a few days ago, the agent reached back to me that they are interested in it, and want to have a further discussion with me.

I just got the idea of sending it to agencies after many of my friends said it is good quality stuff and I might as well publish it... Never imagined it could really be so successful.

But if I have the chance to really publish it and generate some income from doing so, it would mean the world to me. Writing has always been my passion. It is wonderful if I can generate some money towards my own tuition and living expenses as well.

I wrote the whole piece in English, so publishing in my home country is not a good choice.

So now I am wondering:

1) Can I really get any publishing contract as an international student in the UK?

2) If not, what is the best way for me to do something with my work? I now see that it has potential and really do not want to waste it...

Thank you.

Mira

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Can international students publish a book in the UK?

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm

catgirllondon wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:01 pm
1) Can I really get any publishing contract as an international student in the UK?
No. It would be self-employment or a "business activity" or both, which your Tier 4 work conditions do not allow. The literary agency do not check your Tier 4 work conditions, because they are not your employer.
catgirllondon wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:01 pm
2) If not, what is the best way for me to do something with my work? I now see that it has potential and really do not want to waste it..
It depends whether you want to make money from it, or if just want people to read it. Given that you have submitted it to a literary agency, I assume you want to sell it, so I advise that you switch to the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme when you are almost finished your PhD, then re-submit your novel for publication. Otherwise, you can just publish it online, not as a business or commercial project.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

catgirllondon
Newly Registered
Korea South

Re: Can international students publish a book in the UK?

Post by catgirllondon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:37 pm

I did want to sell it haha. In that case I will wait a bit until I switch visa. Thank you Sah :)