ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Citizenship After Brexit

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

xxzxxkxx
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Dual Citizenship After Brexit

Post by xxzxxkxx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I apologise if this thread shouldn't be under this forum category. I have a little question that's been bugging me for a long time now.

I was born in Bulgaria but I've lived in the UK for a very long time, I've gone to school here, 6th form, university & now I'm working. Funny enough I have only just decided to apply for citizenship. I did so a month ago and have already finished the process (really quickly I know, I thought so too!), so I'm on my way to receive my first UK passport.

I was quite bored the other day and was just browsing gov's website where I came across this section which said people applying for EU citizenship will have to give up their UK one. It was a bit of a stunner to me when I first read it, but I don't know if the same would apply the other way around - EU citizen obtaining UK citizenship.

My question is, if I have dual-citizenship at the moment, would I have to give up any of my citizenships after Brexit or can I keep both (UK & EU-Bulgarian)? Would be a bit silly to pay 1.5k if you're asked to give one up at some point after Brexit? Do any of you have any opinions or know anything else?

Thank you so much! :)

Casa

Re: Dual Citizenship After Brexit

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Can you post a link to the gov website where you read this :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

xxzxxkxx
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by xxzxxkxx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi Casa,

Of course, the first one is here:

CLICK HERE

If you scroll down you'll see "If you apply for Bulgarian citizenship after Brexit, you will have to renounce your UK citizenship." I was just wondering if this would be the same for EU national getting UK citizenship? I'm not sure if this has already been answered before.

Thanks again : )

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

"Dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. This means you can be a British citizen and also a citizen of other countries.

You do not need to apply for dual citizenship. You can apply for foreign citizenship and keep your British citizenship.

Many countries do not accept dual citizenship. Check with the country’s consulate or embassy in the UK to find out about that country’s laws on dual nationality."

We'll have to leave this to others better placed to advise as I seem to be missing something, which may be obvious. The text above is from a link given in the Brexit guidance on the gov.uk website and there's still no mention of having EU citizenship prior to applying for BC :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Every EU country has their own approach to dual citizenship.
The following Wikipedia link relates to Bulgaria: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_nationality_law
Quote re. dual citizenship:
"Bulgaria permits dual citizenship only for native-born citizens, citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland, as well as spouses of Bulgarian citizens. Naturalised citizens who do not belong to at least one of the aforementioned groups, are required to give up all other nationalities.[3] Those who previously renounced their Bulgarian citizenship are allowed to get it reinstated. Some countries do not permit multiple citizenship e.g. adults who have acquired Bulgarian and Japanese citizenship by birth must declare, to the latter's Ministry of Justice, before turning 22, which citizenship they want to keep."
I think the OP is overthinking this - as a native of Bulgaria you will be fine.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

xxzxxkxx
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by xxzxxkxx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks alterhase58 & casa!

I knew about the native-born part in Bulgarian law, I just wasn't sure if there were any rumours on potential legal changes specifically tied to Brexit's case after UK's departure. I guess it's all good for now, just wait and see what happens :D

Thanks again!