ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Part-time job - How to?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

deaconblues1
Newly Registered

Part-time job - How to?

Post by deaconblues1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi all, I am in London for 3 weeks now, on HSMP, looking for a job. Due to various factors, I am still looking but running out of some bucks; quids, pennies, if you may.

I want to know about the experience of any one out here who have had experience in working part time or even full time at waiting or similar positions - TESCO, Bar, restaurant, Mcd, subway and the likes.

My story so far is: I have tried a bit now for about 4 days in a few places; Nothing concrete has happened so far.

Thanks in advance, all.

cheers
dB

P.S. This is not a SCARE thread that I would like to turn into a NO JOB wailing wall. Please.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Try out the Sales Assistant position in WHSmith, or the post office in WHSmith. My wife used to work there for 2 months before getting a permanent job. The pay is low at GBP6.5 an hour before tax, and be prepared to be yelled at some fussy customers.

vnvijay

Re: Part-time job - How to?

Post by vnvijay » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:04 pm

Which country r u from, wat is your qualification?
deaconblues1 wrote:Hi all, I am in London for 3 weeks now, on HSMP, looking for a job. Due to various factors, I am still looking but running out of some bucks; quids, pennies, if you may.

I want to know about the experience of any one out here who have had experience in working part time or even full time at waiting or similar positions - TESCO, Bar, restaurant, Mcd, subway and the likes.

My story so far is: I have tried a bit now for about 4 days in a few places; Nothing concrete has happened so far.

Thanks in advance, all.

cheers
dB

P.S. This is not a SCARE thread that I would like to turn into a NO JOB wailing wall. Please.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Re: Part-time job - How to?

Post by deacon1blues » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 pm

vnvijay wrote:Which country r u from, wat is your qualification?
deaconblues1 wrote:Hi all, I am in London for 3 weeks now, on HSMP, looking for a job. Due to various factors, I am still looking but running out of some bucks; quids, pennies, if you may.

Thanks in advance, all.

cheers
dB

India.

People, It's summer and things are not really moving for me in London. It's now kind of difficult to get even restaurant jobs. And I am looking to get some work asap. Does anyone have any tip to spare? I really need some advice on how to go about this

Blokes with experience of slugging it out, please help

dB

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Honestly if you are really tight on money, maybe you should move outside of London until you land a good job.
However, I am not a big fan of taking temp jobs because you get distracted from your primary goal and can become complacent and before you know it, you have to renew your visa and you haven't made enough to do so.
Further, to get the visa, they asked you to come up with a budget and prove that you had a certain amount of money to sustain yourself without necesarily having an income. It sounds like you haven't been here for long and you are already stuggling. How can that be?
I suggest you really get a hold of yourself and think through your gameplan.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:30 pm

republique wrote:Honestly if you are really tight on money, maybe you should move outside of London until you land a good job.
However, I am not a big fan of taking temp jobs because you get distracted from your primary goal and can become complacent and before you know it, you have to renew your visa and you haven't made enough to do so.
Further, to get the visa, they asked you to come up with a budget and prove that you had a certain amount of money to sustain yourself without necesarily having an income. It sounds like you haven't been here for long and you are already stuggling. How can that be?
I suggest you really get a hold of yourself and think through your gameplan.
My "game-plan" was simple. I had enough savings for about a month and if things didn't get a job by then, I would try and get a temp job just to keep me going. I am surely not averse of a job at Mcdonalds or waiting tables - Many a time a restaurant job can be more engaging and fulfilling!

The visa extension takes into account only the last 12 months' earnings - in theory one can afford to f$$k-around for a full year.

My question is simple and pointed: Do you have an experience of getting under the nut-cracker and How did you get out of it?

Just some tips, that's it.

cheers,
dB

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Try gumtree.com, if you haven't already done so.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:35 pm

CoolestGuyC wrote:Try gumtree.com, if you haven't already done so.
I have been checking out gumtree pretty frequently. I mail for the waiting jobs and I dont get any reply! Interesting, as I even have some waiting experience!! My english is, in all modesty, better than many who I've encountered in restaurants and coffee shops.

I am not sure if I am looking at the right places and talking to right people.

dB

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:55 pm

deacon1blues wrote:
CoolestGuyC wrote:Try gumtree.com, if you haven't already done so.
I have been checking out gumtree pretty frequently. I mail for the waiting jobs and I dont get any reply! Interesting, as I even have some waiting experience!! My english is, in all modesty, better than many who I've encountered in restaurants and coffee shops.

I am not sure if I am looking at the right places and talking to right people.

dB
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.
One month is not what the HO had in mind.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Well said Republique...

DB - the problem is that your attitude / approach is not correct...forgive me if the language is harsh but that's the truth.

In today's credit crunch scenario - there are fewer jobs becaused ppl are not willing to leave their present jobs..and Co's aren't expanding either. But, there are many jobs lyingg vacany because the right skilled candidate isn't there when required.

In my department, 8 out of 10 jobs were filled by references from employees. Only 2 were sourced through HR agencies (including myself).

So, while you were busy searching Temp job in McDonald's - jobs like these were filled out.

I was in a similar situation like you last August at a time where my networth was less than £200; But, I never searched / worked in a Temp job. I had registered with around 25 agencies and got my first job offer in 4th week.

So, try smarter and you WILL get a job. PM me i will help you out with your CV and job-hunt.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm

republique and sathish,

My attitude towards my work search is this: I am not doing something right at the moment.

I am trying to figure out what it is and I dont want to just get the first perm job that comes by. So, I am trying to get along financially using what one might call, a Summer Job. So, I was looking for some advice on that front. Of course, I would be grateful for help on my job-hunt (sathish I have pmed you).

I am not being spiteful. That's not my point. It's just that I felt republique's comments on my financials are irrelevant and unsolicited, which I still believe it was.

Thanks.

cheers
dB

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:54 pm

deacon1blues wrote:republique and sathish,

My attitude towards my work search is this: I am not doing something right at the moment.

I am trying to figure out what it is and I dont want to just get the first perm job that comes by. So, I am trying to get along financially using what one might call, a Summer Job. So, I was looking for some advice on that front. Of course, I would be grateful for help on my job-hunt (sathish I have pmed you).

I am not being spiteful. That's not my point. It's just that I felt republique's comments on my financials are irrelevant and unsolicited, which I still believe it was.

Thanks.

cheers
dB
Then don't post on a public forum. You can't pick and choose the advice you want to hear. And here is good one for you. Usually the advice you like the least hits the issue square on the head.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:13 pm

republique wrote:
deacon1blues wrote:republique and sathish,

Thanks.

cheers
dB
Then don't post on a public forum. You can't pick and choose the advice you want to hear. And here is good one for you. Usually the advice you like the least hits the issue square on the head.
republique,

The use of a public forum, in my opinion of course, is for people to ask for experiences, advices and tips to me shared. I posted - and I quote -
Does anyone have any tip to spare? I really need some advice on how to go about this

Blokes with experience of slugging it out, please help
This is all I wanted, a few tips. rsathish, I believe was helpful by giving his experiences and offering to help. I surely haven't registered with 25 agencies and kind of realise where I might be falling short.

I did not and will not take favourably comments on MY personal stuff, which is unwarrented; I mean stuff like:"It's only been a month, how come you're broke? Didn't you plan well? What are you eating for your dinner tonight?," all, true or not, are irrelevant to this thread and my question.

Well, even with all good intentions of compassion and camaraderie and showing-me-myself philantrophy, they still don't answer my friggin' questions, do they? So, republique, specifically please, what tip did you provide me that will be of any potential help for me? apart from "showing-myself-to-me"!?

I repeat, I am not a spiteful man, surely not vengeful. And I don't want a flaming contest here. That's not my point and not the board's.

cheers,
dB

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm

My advice is to not take a job like mcdonalds and figure out your finances properly so you don't have to. I already explained why you shouldn't take a job like McD's above. I am not getting into a flaming match with you but you are getting defensive because you seem to think that discussing your finances is off limits. You don't have that luxury when you are asking for advice. and like sathish said, your attitude is all wrong. It doesn't make sense that you feel others can only respond exactly within the parameters you think you laid out. As far as I know, I did. You just didn't like it because you are sensitive about your finances. Maybe you feel like I am pointing out something you choose to take a risk on which is to not have enough money to sustain you several months vs less than one month. And maybe you don't like the fact that I am pointing out that that the application does recommend that you should have the funds to support yourself should you not find the type of work the visa was issued for within the first month. So peace out.
Any other takers who want to help, make sure you only respond exactly within the specificity of his question, don't step outside it just a little or expect to suffer his wrath of displeasure.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:36 pm

republique wrote:My advice is to not take a job like mcdonalds and figure out your finances properly so you don't have to. I already explained why you shouldn't take a job like McD's above. I am not getting into a flaming match with you but you are getting defensive because you seem to think that discussing your finances is off limits. You don't have that luxury when you are asking for advice. and like sathish said, your attitude is all wrong. It doesn't make sense that you feel others can only respond exactly within the parameters you think you laid out. As far as I know, I did. You just didn't like it because you are sensitive about your finances. Maybe you feel like I am pointing out something you choose to take a risk on which is to not have enough money to sustain you several months vs less than one month. And maybe you don't like the fact that I am pointing out that that the application does recommend that you should have the funds to support yourself should you not find the type of work the visa was issued for within the first month. So peace out.
Any other takers who want to help, make sure you only respond exactly within the specificity of his question, don't step outside it just a little or expect to suffer his wrath of displeasure.
It's a question of choices:

1. Financial planning for extended stability Vs. Risk it a bit keeping in consideration a few back-up alternatives - For me it was choosing between sticking to my life in the country I was working at Vs. Willing to sustain myself at a bareminimum even if it takes a while to settle into a new place. I chose the latter

2. Stepping outside the topic Vs. Keeping it crisp - I am all for any sort of advice, but no patronising like: Oh, you should've done this, done that; Why didn't you do this, and that Vs. This is my situation right now and how do I move forward from here and what do I do about it. Please advice. I chose the latter

3. One way of life & thought V. the other - I think it all boils down to this. Whether I am going to be stifled by circumstances of lowering cash-stock, slow rate at which things move etc. Vs. Finding my way around to continue enjoying London and its sights and sounds while working on the financial aspects of my life. I chose the latter

republique: I am saying my financial planning wasn't of, what you may call, Gold Standard, and I am perfectly OK with it. If your advice is, I should have planned my financials better to avoid Mcd's and similar stuff, I can only say Mcd's etc. were a part of my financial plan, as my back-up when things slow down. My primary goal is to get into this new culture and experience this place and have fun. I am only using a job and money to this end - so, while I prefer a decently paid job to help me go better towards that end, I will be happy with a waiting job at least temporarily because it keeps me occupied, on my feet and financially stable as well. Yes, I understand I might not be able to put in all my efforts into getting a top-notch job, but that's just a choice I make.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong here in this market and how I should correct it.

- I am talking to agencies (not many and will expand this), applying to companies directly and using personal contacts
- I am having a good time in London, but things do cost. So, I am short of cash and am looking to get some money supply in by trying to get jobs which are big on volume, temporarily
- I am perhaps not looking at the right sources for the high-skilled jobs or not doing something right, but I am not sure what it is and would surely like some help on this

cheers, dB

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:44 pm

rsathish wrote:Well said Republique...

DB - the problem is that your attitude / approach is not correct...forgive me if the language is harsh but that's the truth.

In today's credit crunch scenario - there are fewer jobs becaused ppl are not willing to leave their present jobs..and Co's aren't expanding either. But, there are many jobs lyingg vacany because the right skilled candidate isn't there when required.

In my department, 8 out of 10 jobs were filled by references from employees. Only 2 were sourced through HR agencies (including myself).

So, while you were busy searching Temp job in McDonald's - jobs like these were filled out.

I was in a similar situation like you last August at a time where my networth was less than £200; But, I never searched / worked in a Temp job. I had registered with around 25 agencies and got my first job offer in 4th week.

So, try smarter and you WILL get a job. PM me i will help you out with your CV and job-hunt.
rsathish, What methods did you employ with the agencies? Were in touch with them constantly on mail etc.? I have sent you a pM on this

cheers,
dB

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:57 pm

I do agree with republique's comments.
The more u continue working on these menial jobs , u will have lesser chances of getting job relevant to ur skills.

When i came to london , i got many such kind of small offer but that was not wat we came for. U will get some 6-7 pounds per hr in these jobs but in permanent job u can get some 15-20 pounds per hr.

Many a times people have told here that for searching job u require patience here.

just update ur resume frequenctly on job sites and u will get calls from agents.

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:14 am

namastelondon wrote:I do agree with republique's comments.
The more u continue working on these menial jobs , u will have lesser chances of getting job relevant to ur skills.

When i came to london , i got many such kind of small offer but that was not wat we came for. U will get some 6-7 pounds per hr in these jobs but in permanent job u can get some 15-20 pounds per hr.

Many a times people have told here that for searching job u require patience here.

just update ur resume frequenctly on job sites and u will get calls from agents.
I agree that lower-paid jobs (I wouldn't call them menial) might put one in a compacent position. But isn't it better for me to work for 7 hours a day and spend close to 4 hours a day on the job search. Right now if I spend close to 8 hours a day, but anyways nothing much is turning up.

Atleast I will get the cash and the pub is not too far away from where I stay!

cheers
dB

antouk

Post by antouk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:53 am

@deacon1blues,
ur approach seems to be one of the few available strategies. no harm. from ur previous posts, u seem to have a fair idea on the situation as well. but only thing i differ with u is, 7hrs work and 4 hrs search. i'd suggest the reverse.

And one more thing, work out on the strategies to increase the number of calls from consultants/companies.

most of the ppl in this forum seems to have adopted the strategy of looking for jobs full time(including me) :D
from my experience, getting a right part time job is also no so easy. coz u need to recv calls all thru the day. so plan accordingly.

i've shared some of my experience in this thread, take a look :
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=28556

gud luck.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

deacon1blues
Newly Registered

Post by deacon1blues » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:58 am

antouk wrote:@deacon1blues,
ur approach seems to be one of the few available strategies. no harm. from ur previous posts, u seem to have a fair idea on the situation as well. but only thing i differ with u is, 7hrs work and 4 hrs search. i'd suggest the reverse.

And one more thing, work out on the strategies to increase the number of calls from consultants/companies.

most of the ppl in this forum seems to have adopted the strategy of looking for jobs full time(including me) :D
from my experience, getting a right part time job is also no so easy. coz u need to recv calls all thru the day. so plan accordingly.

i've shared some of my experience in this thread, take a look :
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=28556

gud luck.
antouk, Thanks for that thread. Yes, it was helpful. I am updating my CV regularly. And my CV doesn't look too bad either - my experience is a little less but I am sure I have the 'skills'.

I think I am going wrong in the places I am uploading it and the agencies I have been talking to. It's only the top-agencies that I am in touch with and I am not sure of any mid-sized agencies who might concentrate more on the job rather than the antiques. Googling throws in, as usual, billions of results which leaves me stranded.

How did you manage your agency interaction? And did you speak to anyone personally in companies who might forward your CV internally

Thanks buddy

cheers
dB

antouk

Post by antouk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:20 pm

according to me, managing agency interactions is of least significance. most of the UK companies either recruit thru agnecies or thru employee references.
Going thru employee references is very few, so u can remember those easily.
Job of agencies is to remember u, otherwise they dont have their business. But the problem is, they'll remember u as long as they fin u suitable for some position :D
Its our job to remind them often abt our availability, and here comes ur question how?
Simple, update ur resume often in job sites :D
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-