ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want to get British citizenship. Have Settled Status but not Permanent Resident. Help?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BeerRunner33
Newly Registered

Want to get British citizenship. Have Settled Status but not Permanent Resident. Help?

Post by BeerRunner33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi!

My situation, summarised:
* Spanish citizen
* In the UK since October 2009
* University student from 2009-2013
* Full time worker from 2013 until today
* Obtained Settled Status in May 2019

Question: as I understand, I will have to wait until May 2020 to apply for my naturalisation as a British citizen. Is it worth it or still possible to obtain Permanent Residency? If so, I could apply straight away after that?

Thanks in advance!
C

secret.simon

Re: Want to get British citizenship. Have Settled Status but not Permanent Resident. Help?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Yes, you can still apply for Permanent Residency.

But only the time when you were in fulltime employment will count.

Your time as a student will not count unless you had private health insurance or a non-UK EHIC card for the entire period that you were student.

If you were in full time employment since May 2013 without a break, you would have acquired PR in May 2018 and would be able to apply directly for naturalisation after getting the DCPR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

BeerRunner33
Newly Registered

Re: Want to get British citizenship. Have Settled Status but not Permanent Resident. Help?

Post by BeerRunner33 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 am

Awesome!

Thanks for clarifying so quickly.

I've always had a Spanish EHIC card since I moved to the UK, sadly it expired and my only 'proof' is the current one that I have, but it's from the UK. Would that be an issue?

Thanks!
C

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 am

BeerRunner33 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 am
Awesome!

Thanks for clarifying so quickly.

I've always had a Spanish EHIC card since I moved to the UK, sadly it expired and my only 'proof' is the current one that I have, but it's from the UK. Would that be an issue?

Thanks!
C
It doesn't matter. If you have been in employment since 2013, it's more than 5 years.

BeerRunner33
Newly Registered

Post by BeerRunner33 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 am

That is also true :)

Will have to check the exact date in 2013.

Thank you lots!
C