ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp4/Welfare/RC

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

2-Bit
Newly Registered
Mood:

Stamp4/Welfare/RC

Post by 2-Bit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello - I'm a UK citizen with non-EEA spouse now in Ireland with a Stamp 4 while awaiting outcome of Resident Card application. Sustainable work has been hard to come by, though I am supposed to be starting some p/t and seemingly relatively casual work at the end of this month. The work I specified in the original EUTR1 form did not pan out, nor have we yet secured an official, tenancy/address. Ha - not a brilliant performance.
I'm given to understand we can access welfare benefits but I am unclear how this will impact upon the Resident Card application. I am also unsure what happens if the Resident Card is refused - is it possible simply to renew the Stamp 4 and for my spouse to stay indefinitely? On what grounds does/would this work? And are the spouses of UK citizens treated differently to those of other EU states?

Finally, I believe myself eligible for Irish citizenship. Would anyone recommend that I now go down this route?

Any specific info welcomed - and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I have had a good look around).

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Stamp4/Welfare/RC

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 pm

How did your spouse obtain Stamp 4? Is it a temporary permit that allows her to stay here whilst the EU1 is in progress?
If it is the case, she cannot extend Stamp 4 if the EU1 application is refused.
If she obtained the Stamp 4 by her own (work, business etc), she can extend it indefinitely so long as she continues working.

As for citizenship application, if you have lived here for 5 years, by all means apply for it.

2-Bit
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by 2-Bit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Yes to your question and thanks for the response.

My Irish citizenship is viable through Irish ancestry, not by virtue of having spent time here.

Very interested to hear further responses, specifically on the UK dimension.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Was your parents or grandparents Irish citizen?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

2-Bit
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by 2-Bit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Yes.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:28 pm

If you are eligible for Foreign Birth Register and you are able to find out the birth certificate from your parent/grantparent, just send them over. There's no harm having a EU passport, especially with a potentially disastrous no-deal Brexit.

2-Bit
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by 2-Bit » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Yes - no harm in having an Irish passport. That query was really as to whether it would assist my spouse.

Does anyone have any real life experience of being refused a RC10 card? Or the implications of receiving welfare?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:57 pm

It would not assist your spouse. Applying for her residence permit under EU rules (as a UK citizen exercising EU Treaty Rights) is much easier than applying under domestic rule (as an Irish citizen).