ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Seraching Mainframe Jobs (Designer or Developer)

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

T1_Mainframe

Seraching Mainframe Jobs (Designer or Developer)

Post by T1_Mainframe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi folks,

I am an Indian national, seconded to Switzerland through an Indian service provider. I have Tier1 visa and currently I am searching job from Switzerland. I have more than 7 year work experience (domains - Investment Banking, Mutual Funds, Insurance and Banking). I have previously worked for a UK based customer too, for 2 years.

I am afraid to resign and fly to UK without any job. Can you please share your knowledge and post your suggestions?

Thanks.

tral_hsmp

Post by tral_hsmp » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi,

Market is not good for mainframes in UK.
Please see some existing threads for further details.
If you are enough lucky you may get the job soon but in most of the cases people find it very difficult.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I am not particulary worried about market. I just wanted to know, are there MF jobs in UK? I see some jobs on jobserve but wanted to know if they (employer or consultant) respond or communicate to a candidate through emails.

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Not worried about the market?
There are not enough oportunities here for mainframe. One of my friend came to UK for 1 month but good thing he did was took a leave of 1 month and came to see the market here. He was not able to secure a interview here.Only got few calls.Now its upto u as u do not care about the market....

ubugger

Post by ubugger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:44 am

You can't 'not care about the market'... The market is jobs... So if there's no jobs, would you still come?

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:53 pm

No job? Are you kidding? Did it happen ever on earth? Still come? no one should take risk of loosing current job without any offer. India is not bad to making living in IT.

I didn't have any problem during 2001-02 recession, then why should I worry now?

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:29 pm

That's the spirit!! But caution and planning are also good virtues.
T1_Mainframe wrote:No job? Are you kidding? Did it happen ever on earth? Still come? no one should take risk of loosing current job without any offer. India is not bad to making living in IT.

I didn't have any problem during 2001-02 recession, then why should I worry now?

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Indeed spirits are high. But I am surprised no one posted any suggestions or contact details, their experience.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:04 pm

T1_Mainframe wrote:Indeed spirits are high. But I am surprised no one posted any suggestions or contact details, their experience.
Thats because, probably no one is there with skills similar to you having experience that can be shared.

ranjit5311
Newly Registered

Post by ranjit5311 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Can anyone share your experience who has recently got mainframe jobs in UK.

How will mainframe job oppurtunity will look in next 3-4 months.

I am currently working in B'lore. I am applying around 20-30 mainframe jobs but getting call from 1-2 consultant. Wondering why resume processing ratio is so less .

Thanks,
Ranjit

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:22 pm

I have done a lot of mainframes (IBM E series to S360/390) as a techy in those good old starting days of my career.
In UK there are quite a few businesses (Mainly top FTSE 100 companies) still operating mainframes as their legacy systems for continuing operational and business support whilst undergoing modernisation in parallel. There is a strong ICL-Fujitsu presence in the UK along with traditional IBM midrange & mainframe kits deployed(AS/400 mainly in banks )

For employment opportunities, you have to accept that in this modernisation era, people rarely employ a Cobol/RPG coder or JCL batch administrator to do routine stuffs. Roles mainly are centred around the modernisation aspects of specific business units from mainframes to newer technologies.
Also, areas of employment within mainframe technologies are driven tactically by business needs. For example storage (RACF, Archive, data migration) and various other tools to administer and support mainframe processes/data related activities. Such jobs are not uncommon and demand high rates plus you have to demonstrate specific experience in those areas. Hope this helps, good luck !