ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Automatic border gates: compulsory?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Automatic border gates: compulsory?

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 am

Last time when I came back from a short trip in Europe, there were 2 options at Heathrow, the automatic border control gates and the traditional booths with Immigration Officers there.

I went to the booths and gave my passport to the Officer. He gave me a hard time because I went to him rather than to the automatic gates. I tried to make the point that these gates are optional but he kept insisting that they are now compulsory and when they exist, I must go through them and no alternative option is available to me.

He still let me pass eventually after carefully checking my passport but I still believe he wasn't right.

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

Re: Automatic border gates: compulsory?

Post by ariskar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm

They are nowhere said to be compulsory. Gov.uk guidance everywhere says "you can use e-passport-Gates" to save time, avoid queues etc.