ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

full time student on tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

samx
Newly Registered
Jordan

full time student on tier 2

Post by samx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Hello,
I am on a tier 2 visa as a researcher and I have the opportunity to do a full-time PhD. The PhD topic is expected to be similar or relevant to my current research. This being said, my employer does not mind that I do the PhD full-time. My concern here would be wether taking a full-time course is allowed under tier 2 or not. I've checked online but only found the answer to what I'm looking for under university websites e.g. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/servic ... ther-visas

And accordingly it looks like I am allowed to take a full-time course while on a tier 2 visa. However, I couldn't find confirmation of this on gov.co.uk. I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide me with confirmation referencing the home office. Thank you

UKLL
Member of Standing
Malaysia

Re: full time student on tier 2

Post by UKLL » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 pm

samx wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:06 pm
Hello,
I am on a tier 2 visa as a researcher and I have the opportunity to do a full-time PhD. The PhD topic is expected to be similar or relevant to my current research. This being said, my employer does not mind that I do the PhD full-time. My concern here would be wether taking a full-time course is allowed under tier 2 or not. I've checked online but only found the answer to what I'm looking for under university websites e.g. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/servic ... ther-visas

And accordingly it looks like I am allowed to take a full-time course while on a tier 2 visa. However, I couldn't find confirmation of this on gov.co.uk. I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide me with confirmation referencing the home office. Thank you
You can study but you will need to obtain an Academic Technology Approval Scheme
(ATAS) certificate for the course/research and present it to your education institution
before you start your study if:
(a) you are over age 18 (or will be over 18 by the time your leave expires); and
(b) your course is one of the following:
(i) a doctorate or master’s degree by research in one of the disciplines listed in
paragraph 1 of Appendix 6 of the Immigration Rules, or
Tier 2 Policy Guidance (Version 08/2019) Page 53
(ii) a taught master’s degree or other postgraduate qualification in one of the
disciplines listed in paragraph 2 of Appendix 6 of the Immigration Rules, or
(iii) a period of study or research in one of the disciplines listed in paragraphs 1
or 2 of Appendix 6 of the Immigration Rules at an institution of higher
education, where this forms part of an overseas postgraduate qualification.
Appendix 6 of the Immigration Rules can be found on the gov.uk
If your course (or research) completion date is postponed or delayed for more than 3
calendar months, or there are any changes to the course contents (or the research
proposal), you must apply for a new ATAS certificate within 28 calendar days, and must
provide a print-out of the new certificate to your institution promptly.